Monday, January 9, 2012

Tebowing

I love football. High school, college, pro, heck, even grade school, it doesn't matter to me. There's just something about that hard hitting, in your face, standing in the pocket and rushing and going with everything in you that hits me in the gut. As I'm writing this, the National Championship is playing and the Tide of Alabama are rolling away over the LSU Tigers. Payback for earlier in the season...

But this blog post isn't about football. Not really. It's about the use of a passion as a platform for something bigger than ourself, and it can be anything that you do. You see, sweeping the nation right now is a Tebow bandwagon. A quarterback that proved himself time and time again in college, but wasn't given the opportunity to show it in the big leagues. People doubted him. Talked bad about him. And I'm sorry to say it, but I think it came down to one thing... his religious beliefs.

Tebow stands like a real man: on his knees. He doesn't take the glory for those passes- he gives it to God. He paints his eye black with Bible scriptures and fundraises for orphanages in his spare time. And I may be a poor judge of character, but I think he's the real deal. I think he's authentic. And he's got a whole lot of people talking.

Maybe God doesn't care who throws for a touchdown. Maybe God doesn't care who wins the game and advances in the playoff (that doesn't stop me from praying at ballgames. I just figure there are people on the other end that counter my prayers). What God does care about is that we do "everything" as if we are doing it for Him. Throwing a football. Taking a math class. Standing in front of a class lecturing. Whatever is everything. And Tebow gets that. By giving glory to God, He's giving Him attention. A lot of people dont' want to hear it. Darkness hates the light. The Devil is a deceiver. But God can speak loudly... and who can argue if it comes in the form of the quickest score in an NFL OT, in the form of an 80 yard pass play in a game where Tebow broke all kinds of records. Tebow broke the Twitter record for most tweets per second for a sporting event. So, yeah, people are talking about Tebow.. and they are also talking about God.

So, yes, I'm on the Tebow bandwagon. Maybe he'll get beat by the Patriots. Maybe he'll win the Superbowl. But I'm willing to bet that no matter what he does, right after it happens, you'll find him on his knee, giving glory for that ability to the one who gave it to him... Abba, Father. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in HIm would not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16... and that, my friend, is something to get down on your knee about. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment