Wednesday, October 3, 2018

What's Worth Believing?

One of my favorite quotes by Audrey Hepburn (and this is a paraphrase) says, "I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls." The entire quote is pretty lengthy, with Hepburn telling several things that she believes. I like it because so much of what she says seems simple...

But often what we believe is not simple at all. It's a complex makeup of what we've been taught and what we've personally experienced and what we perceive about the others around us.

In order to tell our stories, we have to know what we believe. What we believe can help us combat those things we are afraid of, as well.

Often, as I think I've mentioned before, we don't really know what we believe, which means we don't really know who we are. I'm still in the process of figuring that out, and since we are dynamic individuals that adapt and grow and learn every day, I think it's impossible to know exactly who we are, because essentially it may change. Who am I today is not who I was when I was 16, nor will it be who I am when I am 80 (should the good Lord decide to allow me to live my story that long. If not, I'll fly away and will definitely not be who am I now because I'll be in a glorified body...)

With that being said, as I'm trying to figure out who I am in this moment, I've been thinking a lot about what I believe. Here's a short summary:

I believe that Jesus died for my sins and that He loves me even though I am a huge mess. 

I believe that the Bible is God's Holy Word, inspired by God, and applicable to my life even when I'm not sure how.

I believe that being blessed to be Caleb's Mama is the greatest job on earth.

I believe that nature is healing to the soul, and that I am no closer to God than when I sit on a cliff facing in the Gorge or at the Oceanside.

I believe that books are always better than movies.

I believe that laughter truly is the best medicine.

I believe that compassion is a lost art, but one that I should seek to practice every day.

I believe that there is a purpose for my life, even when I'm unsure of what it is.

I believe that love is stronger than hate, but hate is sometimes easier... so we have to keep choosing love.

I believe that planners are awesome, even though I don't always get everything checked off in mine.

I believe that ice cream and sunshine makes any day better.

I believe that summertime is the best time, but that every season has its purpose.

I believe that there is always good... sometimes we just have to look harder. And we have to ask God to give us eyes to see the good.

This is where I'm at today. Each of those statements have reasoning behind them, and they make up a little piece of who I am.

Don't stop believing, people...

Thanks to Five Minute Friday for the prompt of "Believe". Today I wrote a little bit longer than 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment