Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Not Knowing...

At almost 33, I'm sometimes thinking that I've got life figured out. Work hard.  Play harder. Love others.  Be respectful.  Admit when you are wrong, and try to fix it.  Keep pushing. Hold on to those who are most important, and let go of those who maybe aren't.  Learn to tell the difference (isn't that the hardest part sometimes?)

It's easy to get in our comfort zones and stay there... not trying new things, doing the same old thing that we've always done because life is good.  But life can be better... we just have to learn to step out of our shadow and embrace the new.

Today, I embraced the new.  Yesterday, I drove across the state with my friend and maneuvered around downtown Bowling Green to visit WKU.  Today, I figured out campus parking and trekked across the campus, dodging construction zones, to sit in a classroom all day and revisit life as a college student.  Yes, I may be crazy, but it's a good kind.  Having my DNP won't necessarily help me in my career at this point.. it's not required, and probably won't even give me a pay raise... but it will be worth the sense of satisfaction from completing a goal.  And no, I have no idea what my research project will be about, but I'm excited to get started.  Even though my eyes kind of glazed over during the orientation to Advanced Biostatistics.  I'm sure it had as much to do with the carbs from my pizza at lunch than the content of the lecture... although I'm really glad that I'm married to someone who does stats for a living.  Maybe he can be my personal tutor and pay me back for all of those papers I proofed for him in college =)

Tomorrow is another day on campus.  And then, on Saturday, Holly will start her great adventure of not knowing... because marriage is certainly the unexpected.  I survived today... so I'm sure she'll flourish with this! 

So, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and take that step.  Because even when we don't know what we're doing, He does...

No comments:

Post a Comment