Friday, August 3, 2012

Olympics!

The Olympics bring out many emotions for me.  A sports fan, I love cheering these athletes on.  I especially love the excitement of swimming and the concentration of gymnastics.  I grew up loving Mary Lou Retton, and can fondly remember the Magnificent 7.  Ahh... Kerry Strug's vault, landing perfectly on one foot... how can you beat that?

As I watch the Olympics, I'm struck by how old I am.  I'm also struck with how young they are... I just watched a 15 year old swim the race of her life, showing those much  older just how it was done.  So young, but the hopes of a nation on their shoulder.  Especially foreign countries, where kids are pulled away from their parents to train, religiously training.  Sacrificing their childhoods for constant training. 

Anything worth having is worth sacrifice.  Those Olympic athletes know the price. Is it worth it when they stand on the podium, gold medal around their neck, as the Star Spangled Banner plays?  I'm sure it has pros and cons. Their example, though, can be applied to our life.

Practice.  Work hard.  Recognize when sacrifice is needed.  Realize when maybe enough is enough.  While I was never an Olympic champion, I am the only person who can do what God has put before me... the only person that can fulfill His unique job description. So, like the Olympic athlete, I should do the best I can in everything I do.  And while I'll never stand up on the podium and receive a gold medal, I will recieve a crown of righteousness.  And then I'll give it back...

Thank You, Father, for the spirit of competition.  Go USA... and congrats to all these young kids.  May the rest of their lives be just as golden =)

No comments:

Post a Comment