Monday, February 29, 2016

What I Learned in February

1. Groundhog Day has its origin in Germany, where hedgehogs were thought to be able to predict winter. It's linked to Candlemas Day, when candles were handed out; the length of the candle was thought to correspond with how much longer winter would last. Groundhogs were more common than hedgehogs. And who knew there were other groundhogs other than Phil in Punxsutawney?
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/first-groundhog-day
This year, Phil said a short winter but I'm pretty sure he lied.


2. There is more to life than basketball.
I knew this, of course, but because of family events this basketball season, I've been reminded of this.
As much as Wallace and I love basketball, family means more... as it should.
But I still love basketball.


3. As much as I dislike it at times, I have to exercise every day.  I hit a rough patch this month, going four or five days in a row without exercise, and the scales caught up with me. Not a major gain... but enough to know that I can't slip back into that habit.
And, y'all... once I get the exercise in, I'm always glad that I did. I feel better. I sleep better. I think better.


4. A cinquain poem is a five line poem that doesn't rhyme and describes a noun. And I'm not a poet, and to be honest, I don't even enjoy reading poetry... except some Emily Dickinson. I love me some Emily Dickinson.


5. I hate pantyhose. I knew this, too... as evidenced by the fact that I had to go to Walmart to buy a pair for the funeral... but after sitting in them for less than 30 minutes I remembered why I hated them... and then I really remembered when I had to use the restroom.


6. People will not always remember what you said or did, but they will always remember how you make them feel. This quote was attributed to Maya Angelou, but I was never more aware of it's impact as last week during Uncle Dennis's funeral arrangements. Time and time again people filed past telling us how he had impacted their lives... and it made me want to be a better person.




7. This next generation is ok. Looking at society, and our world in general, sometimes I'm a little scared. I know I don't have to be scared, because God's got a plan and He's ultimately in control, but the lack of morals unsettles me at times. Yesterday, though, as I watched Kami and 800+ of her peers wind down their 24 hours of dancing for pediatric cancer at Memorial Coliseum, and thought of the genuine hard work and effort that goes into raising over $1.6 million dollars, I'm reminded that each generation, though different, leaves it's own mark. The compassion and drive those kids demonstrate left me teary-eyed. They are a smart group, overall. And our world will be a better place because of their enthusiasm.






No comments:

Post a Comment