Thursday, November 6, 2014

Blessed to be Caleb's Mama

So, my boy is turning 12.

I'll pause and take a big deep breath and let that sink in.

Yes.  12.  Meaning next year he will officially be a teenager.  And that in 4 years he will be driving.

Oh, boy.

So, in honor Caleb's big day, I thought I'd share my favorite blog posts about him with you. Reading these have made me laugh and cry and shake my head.... because Caleb is Caleb... and I wouldn't have him any other way.

In no certain order...

Caleb reminds us not to take life too seriously.  Life as a coach's son can sometimes be hard... especially when said coach may or may not be a little (?) intense and crazy.  I'm reminded of the time Caleb wrote "Hi" on the back of Wallace's pants.  Wallace had meetings all day at Frankfort and walked around with "Hi" written on his butt... and had no idea.  Would have had no idea, except Susan Watts had to sit behind him as he paced the sideline at a ballgame that night! In this blog post, I tell about the importance of not keeping the barn door open... only my Caleb.





And that Caleb thinks there is nothing like his Daddy.

And that sometimes he is smarter than his Daddy.

And also smarter than his Mama.



Caleb has a more serious side, too.  He loves God and I was never so proud as when he was baptized last summer.  That being said, I only hope that I have instilled in him the importance of grace, forgiveness, and love.  In this post, there's the issue of rushing and a broken flip-flop and wondering if you can ever be good... on this day, Caleb did good.

Caleb has always demonstrated good logic.  This post reminds me of why he may or may not do so well in our annual Bates family bracket challenge.

This birthday post from 3 years ago reminds me of how much things can change in a small amount of time... and just how much things stay the same.


Caleb is always trying to act older than he is.  Here's why it is important to check the ingredients at Mcdonalds late at night.

A reminder that Caleb makes me smile. 


And that always, I am blessed to be Caleb's Mama. 

I don't know it all, Caleb.  I struggle... most days.  Every day. 

But you are what I struggle for. 

I love you so very much... more than mint chocolate chip ice cream. 

And don't you forget it!

Happy birthday, Caleb!!!





 
















6 comments:

  1. What a woderful post! Caleb sure seems like a special boy...teenager?!? Eek. As one who teaches middle schoolers, I know how crazy it is for someone to be more like an innocent child one day and a more mature teenager the next. Congrats on getting this far, mama!

    http://queenofthelandoftwigsnberries.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is 1 and this post makes me think he will grow up way to fast. Thanks for sharing some of your wonderful memories. Makes me happy I blog and will one day be able to look back at all the fun we had. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Caleb! And hang on. The next several years will go fast. I have one turning 17 in a few months. Where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, what a sweet tribute to your son! Twelve is an important year--on the cusp of so much change and independence. May the care and nurturing you've lavished on him during his formative years always keep him close in heart (even as he starts his journey to independence).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twelve! Yes indeed it's sobering when the teenage season is right around the corner! As a Mom to three teens I can testify that even though the teen years can be hard they are equally rewarding. I'm excited for the journey ahead for you AND Caleb! Thanks for stopping over at Inspire Me Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet. I love that you dedicated this entire post to your son. Caleb sounds like a great kid. It's awesome how we, as parents, can learn life lessons from our children. They approach life so simply and experience joy so effortlessly. It's something adults need to practice more often. I'm stopping by from Inspire Me Monday!

    ReplyDelete