Saturday, May 19, 2012

What Are You Going to Do Now, Big Boy?

Tonight Wallace, Caleb and I took the Ranger out for a ride.  What I thought would only be for a few minutes turned into a 2 hour ride throughout the county.  It's kind of hard to talk over the engine, but we had a good time.  I like looking at the scenery, but I'm not really much of a rider.  I'm filled with far too much fear.

At one point, we were going down a pretty steep  hill and my heart was palpitating just a little.  I held on tight and thanked God for our seatbelts.  Wallace said, "I'm not even a little scared here, babe."  See, fear, or lack of fear, comes from experience, or the lack of experience, depending on the situation.  Wallace has ridden four-wheelers all his life, pretty much.  In the dark, in much more dangerous places that where we were.  He wasn't afraid because he knew where he was going, he had faith in his ability to drive, and he trusted God to take care of us.  As I realized this, I also realized that Wallace wasn't going to take us anywhere that he didn't have control of.  He loves us too much to do that. Kind of like God, our Daddy.  He places us in situations where we are afraid.  It's dark and we aren't sure of the road ahead... but he knows.  He's been there before, and he knows the way.  And he's not going to put us in a position that we aren't capable to handle... with His help.

We ended up driving a pretty good distance in the dark, in some pretty creepy places.  If you've never been in Eastern Kentucky in the dark, with no streetlights and just your little ole headlights shining, let me assure you it's a pretty dark place.  As we drove around places rumored to be haunted and saw snakes creeping across the road, I was a little scared again.  I had to keep telling myself that Wallace knew what he was doing... which can be a scary thought in and of itself.

My favorite part  of the evening, though, was when we were pretty much on level ground.  Even I knew where we were at, and how we would get home. Caleb, though, did not.  As we drove through weeds that were almost as tall as the Ranger, he looked at his Daddy, and said, "Well, you've got us here.  What are you going to do now, big boy?"

And I think sometimes that in our fears, in our failures, God might just nudge us and say that.  "You went your own way, made your own path, and wouldn't listen to me because my road looked scary.  You've got yourself here, what are you going to do now?"  In Caleb's situation, Wallace knew the answer, but too often we don't.  Or we're too stubborn to admit that we took a wrong turn.  The good thing is, God is faithful to put us back on the road and point us in the right direction.  Sometimes it's a wilderness out there, but He'll help us make it home =)

No comments:

Post a Comment