Wednesday, July 3, 2013

What I'm Reading in July

In case you haven't noticed, or don't visit this blog much, I have a confession to make.  I am addicted to books.  All kinds of books.  I have a wish list a mile long.  One of my students told me I'd never get enough time to read all of those books, and they may have been right, but that doesn't matter I'll not try.  The bad thing is, the wish list just keeps growing... and I can't read nearly as fast as I can add books to the list.  I'm always open to suggestions, too, which makes my list keep growing.  I used to be the kind that just read one book at a time, but there's too many books out there, and I have to find time when I can, so I have books everywhere and seize any opportunity I can get. 

Before I jump into what I'm reading in July, let me make three suggestions.  I read these after I made my post last month, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention them because all three are really good options.  The Sky Beneath My Feet and Reinventing Leona are both about the wives of pastors; in the first, the family is trying to figure out what God's purpose is for their family, while in the second, Leona tries to determine what God's purpose is for her.  Both are excellent reads and I would highly suggest them.  The Sugar Queen is also a book about finding purpose in life. Set in the South, the main character learns to go from loving candy to loving people.  Definitely a read worth looking into.

Now, for July. 

I'm reading Anything by Jennie Allen and it is a good if scary read.  What if we were to offer God anything?  Heavy stuff to think about.  I'm on chapter 13. Also still reading The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth by John Maxwell.  I'm on chapter 7... got to get a couple more chapters in this month. 

I'm also reading Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.  It's a fictionalized version of Hosea from the Bible.  Hosea marries a prostitute, who leaves him, and he keeps going back for her.  This book in the Bible depicts God's relationship with Israel, and really, His relationship with us.  I know there have been many times I've turned back and He's continued to pursue me.  Love this book.  A definite must read.

On my Kindle, I'm reading Miss Match, about a 20 something photographer who is a matchmaker at heart.  Just getting started on it.  It's a light read, though, and easy to follow, which is always good at the beach. Waiting in my bag for when I read Redeeming Love are A Summer Affair by Elin Hildebrand and A Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews, plus The Scent of Rain and Lightning, which my friend brought to me as a good beach read.  I've only got two days after today... so I'd better get to reading =)

At home, The Amethyst Heart is waiting for me.  It's also set in the south and is about an elderly lady whose son is trying to sell her house out from under her.  I'm only about 25 pages in, but it is pretty good. 

As always, comment below with any suggestions for me.  I may not read them until this time next year but I'll definitely look into them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment