Tuesday, November 4, 2014

What I'm Reading in November

Next month is Christmas break, which means basketball tournaments, family get togethers, more basketball tournaments, and laying on the couch all day in my pajamas reading.  EEEKKK!!!!

I'm compiling my to read list right now (actually, I constantly compile a to read list, so what is new???) But for now... here's what's on my Kindle and bedside table and bathtub ledge and in the front seat of the car for Caleb to move every time  he gets in:

Clear Springs, by Bobbi Ann Mason... a Kentucky author. This book is a memoir about growing up in Graves Co., Kentucky, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.  Mason is down to earth and tells it like it is.

All Roads Lead to Austen.  This book tells the story of a college professor who travels to numerous South American countries holding book clubs based on Jane Austen books.  Her main objective was to see if Austen's books  Spanish speaking countries.  She discusses Pride and Prejudice (which *gasp* I've never read) and Sense and Sensibility (which I really don't remember what it was about).  Makes me want to pull those Austen books out and give them another try.  My sister Holly is a huge Jane Austen fan, so I find myself thinking of her... and it is interesting to think of how translation may affect our reading and enjoyment. Good stuff.

The Family of Jesus by Karen Kingsbury... book and study book.  I'm completing this with my ladies group at Jackson Church of God, and I really like it.  Kingsbury uses fictional vignettes to imagine the lives of family members of Jesus, then points us to Scriptures to review facts related to His life.  It's the first Bible study she's ever done, but I am a huge Kingsbury fiction fan, and this one has thus far not disappointed.

Night Road by Kristin Hannah- Just getting started on this one but I had someone tell me "once you start it you won't put it down." Someone else said, "One of the best books I've ever read." I love what I've read by Hannah as well so I'm sure this one will be on point.

The Scarlett Letter... I was reading this one last month, and never really got into it (because I had so many books to read on my Kindle before they expired!!!)

Junebug by Chris Fabry, about a little girl who discovers that she may not be who she thought she was.  Loveable character... I'm really enjoying this one.

The Patriarchs by Beth Moore- still plugging along. Love looking at Abraham and Isaac...and am just getting into the story of Jacob. I love Beth Moore!

Get out of that Pit, also by Beth Moore.  Reading a chapter a week.  Good stuff. Main point I took away from last week? Let Jesus be Jesus!

Let's All Be Brave by Annie Downs- I'm reading this with the bloom incourage me book club and I'm loving it. Downs could be me.  I mean, she is a clutz. She isn't particularly brave. She is funny (which I sometimes think I am).  She is real (which I strive to be).  Love this book.

Close to Home by Jeremy Asher... this is book three in a series. I loved the first two.  Easy reads, likeable, believable characters. This one seems as if it will be the same.

Dixieland Delight: A Football Season on the Road in the Southeastern Conference. This is my Saturday read, reserved for football games.  It's an older book, so I can look up to see who wins the game and who wins the National Championship, but I'm not going to.  It's football. It's reading. It's the SEC.  Doesn't get much better than that.

And I'll be reading Before Amen by Max Lucado with Proverbs 31 Online Bible studies, where I lead a small group.  I'll also be reading The Preacher's Daughter by Beverly Lewis and Mr. Miracle by Debbie Macomber for a couple of book clubs.  I've got Out of Time downloaded on my Kindle app on my iPhone for when I finish reading All Roads Lead to Austen.  I've got 11/23/64 by Stephen King downloaded on my Kindle to start (being November and all, I thought it was the perfect time to read it!) I have to read Love Does.  And Outlander. 

What's on your to read list?



1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for book recommendations! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete