Monday, November 3, 2014

Faithful Finish Line

I'm a great planner... most of the time. Although I will admit that I am really trying to let.  it.   go.  and not be quite as task-driven as I used to be.

I am also a great starter.  I love starting new books and new Bible studies and new school years.  I love New Years Day and a brand new planner.  I love new notebooks and fresh out of the pack ink pens. 

I'm not that great of a finisher.

That's one reason why I'm so excited that I participated in the #write31 days challenge.  For each day in October, I posted relating to Philippians 4:8.  I made myself do it, because I know that writing helps me process and clear my mind, and it did help with my stinkin' thinkin'... some. At least I thought it did.  My family may disagree.

Another reason I'm so thankful that I participated is because I got connected with other bloggers around the world. I linked a couple up here.  I joined a couple of facebook groups for encouragement.  Some of these individuals have just started blogging. Some of them are like me, they write sporadically as a cheaper means of therapy.  There are published writers.  Some blog on faith. Some of family. Some on things that I'm not really sure about...

Through this challenge, I "met" Sara Borgstede.  Sara is a finisher... and wants to help others finish well, too.  She posed a challenge to us bloggers.... to be part of the Faithful Finish Line challenge, focusing on fitness, faith, and getting healthy.

There may or may not be some food challenges in this as well, but finicky eater that I am, I'm in denial until we actually hit that point.

We were each given the opportunity to choose our own fitness goal. Y'all know me... the would-be runner... who was doing pretty well until school and work and volleyball and life  happened.

And cold weather. Because we all know the dreadmill is my worst enemy... even if Dance Moms is on DVR.  (And please note that I only have ONE episode left.  One.  This could be a very long challenge...)

But I really do want to run.... you can read all about that here Mostly because everyone else is, and you know what a follower is.  And also because I need to be more active.  I like donuts too much and need to burn extra calories.  And it's on my bucket list... complete a 5K. 

Running.

So, here I go again... back in the saddle and all that jazz.  I'll be blogging about it once a week, and I'll try not to complain, because you know I'm thinking Philippians 4:8.  It's true that I need to be more physically active.  Honestly, I really want to do this... I just have to put some discipline behind my want to.  And I will be oh, so lovely when I'm done. 

Ok, we may not go that far...

Today starts week 1. I'm to keep a food log, which I am normally horrible at, because I eat on the run so often (although not on the right kind of run... that may be a weight loss idea. Eat while you are gasping for breath with your tongue hanging out... although that may or may not put you at risk for aspiration pneumonia).  The fitness goal is to focus on movement... increasing movement, doing more than what you have been.  I'm averaging 7,000 steps a day... so this week, from the 3rd-10th, I'm going to get my average up to 10,000 steps.  My goal is at least 4 days this week I'll suffer through on the treadmill for at least two miles.

That is completely doable. 

Come visit me next Monday to see how I did...

1Corinthians 9:24-27  Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we van imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.




12 comments:

  1. Awesome! You are going to be fantastic! I love your positive attitude! I'm so excited you are part of the program with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was excited to see what Sara told us to do today and haven't gotten that far yet.The first thing I saw was your post, and I am so glad I did. It makes me want to go get my running shoes on, but oops I have to go buy some because I got a blister last time I tried. It's on the to do list today,but you got me going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Lauren Go! You got this. I am a planner/starter myself ;) so I relate. I will admit though I am procrastinating on the healthy eating until the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always had issues with finishing too, but be encouraged - it does get better as you get older. A word of advice - be a little kinder to yourself. In the scope of a whole lifetime, some of the things that bother you the most now will be seen as not nearly as important as you thought. Keep running the race, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome to see how writing for 31 Days led to this! And Philippians 4:8 is one of my favorite verses. Have you read the book by Tommy Newberry, The 4:8 Principle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lauren! Sometimes I'm terrible at finishing. Glad I'm not the only one. Let's help each other finish this thing?! ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finishing strong - that's the hard part - isn't it - but it's a one-step at a time deal. I can do one step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lauren! Ha, I just posted my first post about FFL and it started out a lot like yours. I am a planner but have trouble finishing as well. I am really looking forward to this program and getting to know you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so brave to be sharing about this! Bless you -- I know He can get you through everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome attitude. I am also a terrific starter and not-so-great finisher. We'll all do this together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best wishes to you on your new start! ... You're a gifted communicator and I enjoyed reading this very much. Thanks for sharing it with us at Unforced Rhythms.

    ReplyDelete