Monday, July 9, 2012

Too Much Technology?

One of the books I'm reading is I Used to Be So Organized by Glynnis Whitwer.  I'm learning a lot.  And she's reminding me of things that I knew to be true... but had conveniently forgotten.  Like the fact that the laundry doesn't put itself up.  And that priorities must be determined. 

This week's chapters centered on paper piles and technology.  Here at home, I don't have too much of a problem with paper piles.  I need to organize a few things, but kind of know in my mind how I'd do this... if only I had the time.  Or if I had the initiative.  I'm sure it will come as soon as I finish the book...

But the chapter on technology really hit me hard! I've been "addicted" to facebook for a while now.  I like to play games and keep in touch with old friends.  I've connected with a couple of different Bible Study groups and enjoy getting their perspective... plus it keeps me accountable.  I also like to use Facebook as a way to encourage others and let my light shine.  As I was reading, though, I realized that it may be a little problem...

My big problem is my Iphone.  It's a blessing, and I love it... but it has my email. And facebook.  And games.  And twitter.  And my calendar.  All of which I love... but I feel compelled to check it every time it dings.  And compusively check it. 

So, I'm going public here.  I'm only checking facebook in the morning and night.  I'm going to limit myself to 30-45 minutes each time.  I'm not going to constantly check for notifications.  I don't need that affirmation that people like me... even if I do, I'm going to ignore the need.  And I'm not going to leave my email up... when I'm on the computer, it'll only be what I'm working on.  I'll check email in the morning, mid-day, and at night.  And when I feel the urge to check, I'll look at my to do list and see what I can knock off.

Now that's not saying I won't post during the day... especially if its' something funny Caleb says or does or a good pic.  I'm just not going to let it take over...

So I say tonight.  Now, good night.  I've got to go share this on Facebook ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment