Sunday, July 1, 2012

Shameless

grace for the good girl by emily p. freeman



*I'd just like to say that I thought it was pretty cool... wrote this this morning in Word before church because my internet wasn't up. Then, went to church and listened to a message about being covered by the blood.  God is good =)


In reading Grace for the Good Girl, I was again amazed by how well the author described me without even knowing me.  Apparently these problems of hiding behind the masks are common, though, because as I read through the Facebook page, comments resonated deep within me.  What strikes me is that this hiding begins at a young age… and has been going on for a long time.

Freeman discusses in Chapter 10 of her book that the earliest hiding was in the Garden, immediately after Adam and Eve partook in the fruit.  You know the story, how they covered themselves the best they could and then hid when God called them.  Really, guys?  You’re hiding from God, your Omnipotent Creator?  Um…. Hello!  But don’t I do the same thing? 

They hid because they knew they were guilty.  Freeman then discusses the difference between guilt and shame.  Guilt can actually be a good thing… unless we let it linger.  Then, deep within the recesses of our soul, our mind tells us that because we are guilty, we aren’t good. We aren’t acceptable.  Shame starts to worm its way into our heart… and then we go bury ourselves.  Dig a hole in the sand and stick our head in it.  Or at least I do.  Denial is one of my number one ways of dealing with shame. 

As I mentioned, shame begins at an early age.  It has prevented me from trying new things, because I automatically place my previous performance up to what I believe I will do on whatever it is.  Shame keeps me apologizing when I have no one that needs an apology. Shame keeps me constantly looking for ways to prove myself, and then finding myself full of more shame because I don’t measure up.  As a young child, shame kept me from making new friends and kept me on the sidelines during school dances.  Shame… shame on me. 

In Christ, there is no condemnation.  No shame.  Yes, we are guilty of sins, but they have been redeemed by Christ.  It’s kind of like my husband… I’ve learned all about having no shame by being married to him.  Wallace truly has no shame.  He doesn’t apologize for who he is, and isn’t afraid to talk to anyone.  He is anxious to try new things, and doesn’t care if he doesn’t do great at them.  When you are confident in yourself, you don’t have as much shame… shame beats down your confidence and then eventually places doubt in its place.  We are to have confidence in Christ… knowing that He has it covered.  Literally.  Covered by the blood… and we don’t have to be shamed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment