Friday, March 30, 2012

What I Learned from A Flat Tire

I've never had a flat... until tonight.  I've always been afraid of having a flat.  I've been cautioned by my Dad and my Grandpa and my father-in-law about letting my tires get too worn out, even had my Papaw Paul buy me a pressure gauge when I first started driving, but with the busyness of life and running here and there, somehow getting tires changed just hadn't been on my priorities list. Until tonight.

There we were, cruising down I-64 at about 75 miles per hour, when the check tire pressure light came on.  Wallace pulled off and put some air in the tire, and we got back on the Interstate.  Me, being the worrywart that I am, kept looking at the tire pressure monitor.  Still within normal limits... Wallace pulled over to pass an 18 wheeler, looking at me and saying, "Don't worry.  We'll be fine.  You've got Wally..." and about that time, there she blew.  The back tire.  Needless to say, we ended up getting off of an exit and putting on the spare. Well, Wallace was putting on the spare. I was just standing there.

So, here's what I learned:

Do not panic.  In life, you will have blowouts.  Big ones, little ones, but things won't be perfect. Just hold tight to the wheel and say a little prayer. God will help you off the Interstate. 

In life, we can only take so much. That tire was worn out.  Finished.  It had been driven one too many miles.  We can be the same time.  When we get like that tire, about to blow, it's time to rest, step back, and change our perspective.  Sometimes we just need a little extra air put back in, but sometimes it involves changing the tire all together.

Keep a spare tire.  It may not be big or the best tire in the world. but it will keep you on the road until you can get to a Tire Store and have a better one put on.  Always keep something in reserve, ready to fill in if necessary. 

There are still good people in the world, and sometimes angels come in the form of guys named Brandon with a Walmart Tire Service Shirt on.  This gentleman pulled off, offered the use of his jack, and helped Wallace get the tire changed.  You can never go wrong in helping someone, and I'm thankful God blessed us with assistance tonight.

And, after said tire change, Wallace and I got back in the car and continued on our way.  No fighting or harsh words (even after he opened my trunk to see it stuffed full of nursing books and boxes and sweatshirts and who knows what else. And had to empty that stuff out to get to the spare tire.  The only words were, "This trunk will be cleaned out when we get home, understood?"  Like I was a little kid... but hey, I deserved it.  He's always harped at me for keeping my trunk clean.)  Guess after 15 years we're finally starting to get it right. Today, anyway....

Thank You, Lord, for watching over us and for angels that protect us daily.  We never know when we're going to need them, but You do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment