Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Time to Listen

"Mom, look."  "MOM."  "Watch this, Mom."... and a loud splash as sunshine streams through the window.  Water everywhere, hitting my chair and my phone and my open Bible and notebook.  Frustration coarses through me and I look up to see an expectant little boy looking up at me, eyes brown like mine behind those glasses, down on the bottom of his nose as he peers over them.  Hair wet and plastered to his head, smile on his face.  "I need you to watch me, Mom," he says, oblivious to my frustration.  "There is ice in this swimming pool and I'm trying to hang on but it is just too cold.  You know, like the Titanic... have I ever told you about the Titanic?"

Can't he SEE that I've got my Bible open, and I'm behind on my daily Bible reading?  That I need to read the Word and get close to God?  Ahhh... and then it hits me, as the sunlight hits his face and he dives under the water to complete a handstand... getting close to God isn't just about what I do... or don't do.  It's about how I respond.  It's about LOVE  and faith and taking time to be all that I'm supposed to be.  Living in the moment, and giving glory to Him as I go about my day as a Mom, as a teacher, as whatever I may be doing when I'm doing it.  And at that time, what I really needed to do was listen, watch, love through action instead of hurrying him up.  Bible closed, phone dried off, I leaned into to listen to him tell me about the Titanic and how it sunk and how they were trying to resurrect it.

It's that same realization that made me, shivering, take a deep breath and dive into that semi-cold pool.  To swim up and down with him on my back, his arms around my neck, an in-water dance that won't last long.  My boy is growing up... I saw that as we entered the mall and the stores he wanted to go to were Hollister (all dark with loud music... always makes me feel old) and Hot Topics and Journeys.  He's got his own sense of style... Converse All-stars and Sperrys and American Eagle jeans, layers of shirts and using gel in his hair.  He's growing up as he orders at Great American Cookie company and asks for ketchup at the hotel front desk.  But then, as he sits in the dark theatre watching a movie, he still reaches over and takes my hand... for this moment.  And I'm glad that I took the time to listen about the Titanic, because he won't always want to tell me.  Now, think I'll go read in Deuteronomy in a while... got some catching up to do. 

Thank You Lord, for him, and for all of my blessings.  I so don't deserve them, and I make messes... but you make a message out of every mess I make, and I'm grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment