Sunday, March 18, 2012

Nothing to Say

Ever had nothing to say?  No clue what to talk about?  Sat in uncomfortable silence?  Happens to me all the time.  A self-proclaimed introvert, I am not a conversation starter.  I don't mind to smile at someone, or ask how they are doing, and I'll answer back and shake someone's hand and even pat them on the back.  I don't mind holding open doors, or picking up something dropped in the floor.  But ask me to sit and carry on a conversation with someone that I don't know (and often times someone that I do know) and there I sit... a knot on a log.  Quiet, searching my brain for something, anything to say that will fill the uncomfortable void of silence.

I've always been this way, but it may be worse now that I am married to such an extrovert.  Wallace can strike up a conversation anywhere. I mean anywhere.  Standing in line at Disney World for Splash Mountain, he exchanges numbers with a guy.  At a restaurant, he talks to the couple at the table next to us.  Pumping gas, an old man needs help out of his truck... Wallace jumps in to help out, and ends up talking to the guy 15 minutes after he pays.  Caleb is just like him...never meets a stranger.  At Best Buy, offers advice to a lady about the best cell phone.  At American Eagle, he makes conversation with the salesgirl.  And I stand... or sit, whatever the case may be.  Smile on my face. 

And tonight, nothing really important to write on here... nothing really worth reading.  Except this... no matter what our personalities, we all have a place, a job to do.  Sometimes silence is necessary.  Sometimes what a person needs is for someone else to sit and listen.  Actively listen.  Sometimes there are no words that are enough... so I guess it may not be that bad that I rarely know what to say.  We must learn to be comfortable in our own skins, in our own personalities, and stop comparing ourselves to others.  And that's all I've really got to say tonight =)

No comments:

Post a Comment