Tuesday, March 20, 2012

For When You don't Want to

Life isn't fair.  That statement has been rolling around in my head for a couple of days now.  You think that after 30+ years of life on this planet, I'd have figured it out, but somehow my head is thick and things don't sink in very quickly.  So, I'll say it again... Life.  Is.  Not.  Fair.

We have to do things that we don't want to do.  Sometimes it is trivial things, like get up early when lounging in the bed seems like a much better job.  Or ironing clothes. Or picking up the living room.  Or answering what seems like the millionth "I have a question" (if he wasn't just so cute when he said it, I would probably be much less tolerable...) Or exercising.... you get the point.  I'm sure there are things you don't want to do, either. 
       
Ideally, I would lounge by a swimming pool or on a beach for the rest of my life, soaking up the rays of infinite sunshine while reading whatever book floated my fancy. And I'd have unlimited Amazon funds.  And I'd be able to eat as much mint chocolate chip ice cream I want without gaining an ounce... yeah, I said ideally.  But we don't live in a perfect world... you get the picture.  Life isn't fair.

Tonight, I was reading in Hebrews.  I must admit I have never read all of Hebrews.  I've read bits and pieces of the faith chapter (By faith... so and so did such and such, all these Biblical figures from years ago who don't have anything to do with my life now... or do they?  Their lives, too, were unfair...).  The first few chapters are trying to convince a largely Hebrew population that Jesus is greater than Moses, greater than the angels... greater than anything.  And in Hebrews 5:7-8, there's a little nugget of truth that tells us that Jesus, our High Priest, our Advocate, recognizes that things aren't always fair.  "10While he lived on earth, anticipating death, Jesus cried out in pain and wept in sorrow as he offered up priestly prayers to God. Because he honored God, God answered him. Though he was God's Son, he learned trusting-obedience by what he suffered, just as we do."- The Message. 

When you look up in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, Jesus had built His foundation on Prayer.  Communication with His Father, though far different from what He was used to.  So as He faced death, He cried out in pain. He begged His Father to take the cup away from Him.  He didn't really want to die.... but He did.  Even though He had done nothing wrong.  He did it because I have done wrong.  I continue to battle with doing wrong... bad attitudes, grouchiness, unforgiveness.  He did it because He loved... and He was obedient.  Even though it wasn't fair, even though He wasn't the one that owed... He did it anyway.  So that we may understand that He knows how we feel when we are tempted.  He knows how it feels when it just isn't fair, when we don't want to do it, whatever it may be.  And He gives us strength, just as the angels strengthened  Him as He faced death.  That same power is in us... we just have to accept it.  And while that isn't fair, don't we all want something that puts us at an advantage?

Thank You, Lord, for Your perfect example. 

No comments:

Post a Comment