Monday, February 11, 2019

Head. Heart. Hands.

I love it when God brings up the same message over and over again.

Not as good as the flashing light I'm often wishing for, but definitely a reminder of "Hey, I'm here. I see you and I know you."

As I wrote this weekend, I attended a woman's conference and was reminded (once again... I'm a slow learner, y'all...) that I can't change myself. No matter how many miles I walk and books I read and Bible verses I skim through, I can't change my heart.

Only God can do that.

And in order for me to grow closer to Him, I have to allow my heart to be transformed. It's not about behavior modification...

Tonight, in Bible study we were going through the video session for 1 Peter. Jen Wilkin was dissecting the the passage verse by verse, and she made a statement that was another "A-ha" moment... although not really, because it was the same A-ha moment I had on Saturday.

She said, "Head. Heart. Hands."

As in, what we do is the last thing that will reflect our walk with God... the last thing we should emphasize.

That's not saying we don't need to change our behaviors. Jesus told the woman I talked about yesterday to "Go and sin no more." Paul talks about how if we know something isn't right and we continue to do it we have sinned, just as if we know that something is right and we don't act we sin.

As Julius says in Remember the Titans, "Action reflects leadership, Captain..." although my action doesn't really reflect God's leadership, because He's going to be in charge no matter what and we know He's good... but if I'm the only Jesus somebody sees, is that going to make a good impression?

Wilkin started with verse 13 and talked about preparing your mind first. We have to know in our mind our battle plan, because we have an enemy that throws out all the tricks. We have to "gird up" as if we are going to battle... because we are. A battle for our lives, with eternal implications. We have to set our hope fully on the promise of the grace of Jesus Christ. Without Him, we have no hope!

Next, we have to put away the passions of our ignorance... passions representing the heart. Ignorance because the heart is deceitful. Our feelings can't always be trusted, y'all! Case in point- on this dreary Monday, I wanted to do nothing but climb in the bed when I got home. I didn't feel like walking on the treadmill... but I sure felt better once I did.  We have to be holy as He is holy... a tall order if it was just us, but we are Spirit infused and with Him all things are possible!

We are to live in awe of the wonders of God... because He is wonderful. He is awe-inspiring. When you stop and consider Who He is and Who we are... and that He still loved us... wow. Just wow.

Lastly, we have a final commandment... love the brothers. (and sisters). Love...

just as Jesus told us.

Not changing our behaviors... but changing our minds. Changing our hearts to reflect the changes in our mind. Then, allowing Him to change our behaviors, because only He can make us holy and set apart. And when those changes are made, allow them to change our actions by loving others in purity.

My prayer tonight, Father, is that You will do Your perfecting work. Change me. Use me. Guide me.
May I love You more than anything, and may my love for You spill out to others. Thank You for Your goodness, Lord. Thank You for Your Son. Thank You for Your Spirit that enables me to live and move and have my being, such as it is. Thank You for Your Word. You are awesome, and I will praise You.





No comments:

Post a Comment