Tuesday, May 24, 2016

My Summer Bucket List

I love lists. I love the order they provide. I love thinking ahead and anticipating what is needed to fulfill those lists.

I'm great at planning.

And if you read my writing much, you know I'm not so great at following through.

(But we aren't going to dwell on shortcomings right now. No Debbie Downers allowed.)

Because it's summer (well, almost. Tomorrow is Caleb's last day of school and I only have a couple of more days to go).

And the sun has finally decided to peek out a little...

And Monday is Memorial Day, which is the unofficial start of summer...

It's got me dreaming a little.

Summertime is my favorite time of the year, and I've been thinking of all I plan to do this summer.

So, here it is, my bucket list for Summer 2016:

1. Put in lots of miles at Red River Gorge.
I've never really been an outdoors person... I mean, unless you count lounging by a pool outdoors. However, in the last couple of years, I have learned that my favorite kind of exercising is walking.
Ok, it's the only kind of exercise that I can really tolerate.
And hiking is different from walking...
But I've also found that I enjoy hiking. Let's face it, nature is beautiful, and there's something about fresh air.
So, Wallace has bought us a map and we're going to go exploring. We are also going to drag Caleb along for some of the fun.
2. Put in lots of hours on the lake.
See note about me not being an outdoors person... but lounging by a pool and in the lake is kind of the same thing.
3. Spend lots of back porch time with Grandma Bert.
Mamaw''s porch is peaceful. There's windchimes and hummingbird feeders and rocking chairs and I can look out in the yard and see memories from my childhood.
Wow, that just sounded really poetic... but seriously. The trees we climbed are no longer there and her butterfly garden on the hillside has turned to grass and the rock garden where we made the most awesome mudpies is now part of the back porch... but if I close my eyes I can still imagine it.
4. Seeing the moonbow at Cumberland Falls.
I've wanted to do this for a while now and this summer I'm going to make it happen.
5. Make S'mores with my family.
Except Wallace, because he doesn't like chocolate.
6. Visit as many different counties as I can.
An overall goal on my big bucket list is to visit all 120 counties in Kentucky. Obviously, I've been to most of the Eastern counties, but I don't know if sitting in a gym counts... so... if you're from a county other than Breathitt, I'd love for you to share suggestions of what we can do in your county.
7. Watch at least a movie a week. I love watching movies, but we don't get to watch a lot during the school year, so I'm going to catch up this summer. Again, send me suggestions!
8. Read.
Well, obviously.
As if that was even a question.

So... what's on your agenda this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment