Friday, September 27, 2013

What I Learned in September

1.  Deep fried Twinkies are out of this world.  The Ladycats had a booth for the Honey Festival and I got firsthand knowledge of how to mix funnel cake batter and fry those delicious delicacies up (although I would be lying to say I really worked much in the booth.  Mostly I just stood around and handed pop into the booth and hauled stuff and gave Caleb money to waste.) On the last day of the festival the deep fried twinkie idea was attempted.  I may seem un-American when I say I don't even like Twinkies normally, but deep fried with some powdered sugar on top?  Yes, please.

2. The Untold Story of Bad Tom Smith- Bad Tom Smith has been a legend in Bloody Breathitt, the only man ever to be hung for his crimes.  His hanging was the social event for miles around.  I had heard of Bad Tom Smith all my life, but the documentary that The Shouse brothers worked on that was shown at the Honey Festival was great.  Never knew it was all part of a political feud... but hey, it is Eastern Kentucky.

3. Teepees are really tipis? 
Yes.  Google it if you don't believe me. You'd think I would have realized this much earlier on, considering Holly's fascination with Indians when she was little (yes, my little sister was the kindergartener who said, "When I grow up, I want to be an Indian.") but I did not realize it until I was helping Caleb look up information for his Indian project and there it was. 

4. You can pierce almost any body part... but your uvula?  Seriously?
This interesting bit of information came as I was lecturing on physical assessment.  One of my students enlightened me to this fact, and even pulled up a you tube video.  I'll not post it here, because you'll never think the same when your doctor tells you to open up and say ah.  And for those of you who might not have known, your uvula is that little thing that hangs down in the back of your throat. Why would you even want that pierced?

5. Fruit or vegetable?
"The following are technically fruits: avocado, beans, peapods, corn kernels, cucumbers, grains, nuts, olives peppers, pumpkin, squash, sunflower seeds and tomatoes. Vegetables include celery (stem), lettuce (leaves), cauliflower and broccoli (buds), and beets, carrots and potatoes (roots)." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fruit-vegetable-difference/MY02201
Educated by Miss Chezney Booth... although I knew a tomato was a fruit, I would have never thought of a pumpkin being a fruit, but then again, you do make pumpkin pie.

Linking up with Emily Freeman at www.chattingatthesky.com

No comments:

Post a Comment