Saturday, September 7, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me

I'm overwhelmed tonight as I write this.  Overwhelmed that God has given me another year, another month, another birthday.  Overwhelmed by the love that has been shown to me.  Overwhelmed... because I am so insignificant, yet so many people have gone out of their way to make me feel differently.

Today my DNP class sang me Happy Birthday.  One of my classmates turned around and said, "You're only 21, right?", to which I responded, "21 and holding."

I've been thinking about that response all evening... as I hugged Caleb hello, as I sat around the campfire with Mom and Dad, as I looked through a box of old pictures looking for a picture of my tee-ball team for a friend.

I've heard about a lot of people having trouble turning 30... and I really didn't.  And to be truthful, I'm happy I've been blessed with 34 years.  I can't help but think that I'll be just as happy when I turn 40... and I can only hope that I can make it to be as old as my grandparents.  So, in honor of my 34th birthday, I'm giving you 34 reasons I have to be thankful.  Hopefully, you'll be able to say some of these same things.  And as I'm writing these, I'm reflecting and praying for a high school classmate of mine, in the hospital in Lexington on life support, fighting against something... maybe bacterial meningitis.  Join me in praying for Ravin and her family... and celebrate the life that we have been given, day by day.

1. God's love, redemption, and grace.
2. Two of the best parents a girl could ask for. Seriously.  My Mom and Dad have always been there for me, and I hope that I can demonstrate only half the character they have.  And also two of the most amazing in-laws a girl could ever wish for.  Helen and William love me like I'm their own daughter, and take care of Caleb so that I can work, go to school, and do all kinds of other things for me.  Caleb is truly blessed to have such great grandparents loving him!
3.  Books.  My kindle. Being able to read. 
4. Four awesome, Godly grandparents, who have provided me with true examples of what love and faithfulness is.
5.  Good friends.
6.  Cheddar's for dinner last night.
7. Seven years at my job.  My students.  The chance to make a difference.
8. Football.
9.  My treadmill, and the ability to walk, even though I don't necessarily like it all the time.
10. A ten year old that makes me laugh every day of my life... and also exasperates me, as well.  Life definitely changed when I was 23, and I thank God for him every.  single.  day.
11.  My almost 11 month old nephew Will, who is learning to walk and learning to get into Caleb's stuff. 
12.  Diet Coke.
13. Bubble baths, and lots of Bath and Body Works to go around.
14. Fourteen years of marriage to a wonderful guy.  We've had our shares of ups and downs, but I truly wouldn't be who I am without him.  He has always supported me, working hard to support me and making sure that Caleb and I have not just what we need, but also what we want.
15. Gigi's cupcakes... even though I didn't make a stop last night.
16.  The opportunity to go back and work on my DNP, and good people to travel with.  A room full of classmates who are beginning to feel like family.
17.  My extended family of aunts, uncles, and cousins, who make life interesting.
18. Music.
19. Laughing with Caleb.
20. A 20 year old (in October) little sister.  When Kami came into my life at 14, I was amazed.  She was my bed buddy until I got married, my study partner when I was in anatomy and physiology, and provided me with laughter.
21. High School basketball.
22. Facebook.
23. Candy Crush, most days.
24. DVR.
25. Bedtime.
26. Health insurance.
27. Computers.
28. A 28 year old little sister.  Holly was born laughing, it seems, and even though I didn't always find her funny, she makes me smile now.  I am so proud of the woman she has become.
29. Group 29 on Facebook- Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies.  I am so honored to get to lead such a wonderful group of ladies.
30. Amazon.
31. Sunshiny days.
32. Rainbows.
33. The opportunity to go to church, and worship the One true God.
34. 34 wonderful years of life.  Thank you God, for each and every moment... and I'm resting assured that His Grace is sufficient, He knows His plans, and that the next 34 years will be just as good, if not better.

Yes, His grace is more than sufficient

No comments:

Post a Comment