Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wholly Committed

Love and hate... they are both strong emotions.  They can fuel fires. They can incite passion. They can unify and divide. 

God is love.  He is unable to not love us, because it is inherent to Him.  Love makes up who He is.  He created us and redeemed us out of His steadfast love.  And He desires that kind of love from us, in us.

As I've been reading What Happens When Women Say Yes to God, I've thought about what it means to truly love God.  His Word says that if we love Him, we are to love Him with all our hearts.  In another place, it says we are to love our neighbor as ourselves.  In still another place, we are instructed to love our enemies.  And in yet another place in His Word, He tells us that we are known by loving others, because it is His love in us (all of these are paraphrased). 

The theme seems to be love.  And let's face it, saying yes to love is sometimes hard.

I'm always amazed when God keeps speaking something to me.  Tonight in Bible study, the theme was "Where is the love?" and we looked up verses on His love.  John 15:10 was quoted, "If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love." 

Keeping His commandments. Saying yes to God.  Being wholly committed... even when I don't want to love. Even when I lash out in anger.  Worshipping Him in Spirit in truth- not just in church on Sunday mornings, but every day of my life.. worshipping Him with my life, a sacrifice.  Instead of focusing on more of Him, giving Him more of me.

I don't know that I'll ever get this love thing figured out. There are still a lot of days when I read something on social media or overhear something that makes me want to respond. This week, though, I was reminded of that old phrase What Would Jesus Do... and the answer was love. Forgive.  Hold my tongue.  Pray. 

Respond in kindness and love, and keep on loving... focusing on Him as my strength.  Lord, help me be committed to You with all my heart, soul, mind and strength... sold out so that the world can't help but want what I have- more of You.  P31 OBS Blog Hop

2 comments:

  1. Love this post!!! Like you, God has been using many things in my life to solidify Lysa's message in this book. He is an awesome God! His love, is all we need.

    Blessings to you as you continue your study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love when He repeats that same message to us--everywhere we look, in everything we read and hear....He's so good at getting through to us even when we're distracted (or stubborn as I can be!).

    ReplyDelete