Friday, August 16, 2013

Even in the Small Things

Most of the time, I feel small.  Insignificant. 

I just finished Kisses From Katie, about a young girl who gave up everything to go to Africa and make a difference.

I feel small. 

I read stories of missionaries around the world, serving God and sharing His love with others.

I feel small.

I am tired.  Its been a long week.  The phone is ringing and the washer is running its never ending cycle of towels and I feel small in comparison.

Small in this big world.  Small in my life. Small in my reach.

But I'm not.  Jesus said that those who were last will be made first, and while I know I'm not last, I take comfort in that.  He said that if you give to the least of these, even a cup of cold water in His name, it is as if doing it for Him.

A cup of water is small, but it can bring HIm glory.  Letting someone pull out in front of me in the Walmart parking lot is small.  Not yelling at my son when everything inside of me  is grating is small.  Being patient is small (even though it seems big!)

Today I met with my Mom and a friend and prayed for our kids and our schools.  While we were small, prayer can change thing.

A friendly word.  A smile.  A hug.  Taking time out of your schedule to help someone out. Small things... but they mean so much. 
Today, I'm going to stop thinking I'm small, because I've been created by a big God with big purposes, even if I'm only fulfilling them in small ways. 

For this season =)
LInking up with Lisa Jo Baker at her blog for Five Minute Fridays, one prompt, five minutes, unedited. Today's word? Small... Five Minute Friday

3 comments:

  1. Such a good reminder that what seems so small and insignificant to us can be the "small" thing that turns someone else's day around or puts a smile on their face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, just dropping in from the FMF linkup. What a great reminder that we can't always assess size from our own perspective. What seems small to us is gigantic and moving for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the small things that can make BIG differences in others lives too. A call just to ask how one is doing, a thank you note or thinking of you card, all these small gestures go a long way to make someone's day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete