Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011: A Year in Review

I can't believe that this year is over. I've always heard that the older a person gets, the faster time flies, and I believe that because it seems like just yesterday I was looking back over 2010 and asking, "Where did it go?" Of course, this is coming from the girl who graduated high school 15 years ago but still feels like it is yesterday.

2011 has been a good year for the Bates family. Every year, I make resolutions, and every year I break them. I don't know that it is necessarily the whole keeping them that is the most important thing. I generally set pretty high expectations for myself, so showing just a little improvement is better than nothing. This year, I vowed I'd lose weight. I did that, although not quite as much as I'd have wanted. I resolved to be a better Mom and wife, and even though I still struggle with my temper and patience, I feel that I did better on that front as well. Caleb helped me resolve to listen more, and I feel like I did some better on that. I prompted myself to exercise more, and until about mid-October I did just that. I always feel better when I am active, and I know that in 2012 that's going to be another one of my focuses. I wanted to read my Bible through... I didn't do that, but I did complete several in-depth Bible Studies and I also worked on scripture memorization. No, I didn't memorize the 24 verses I set out to... but I did memorize bits and pieces of them, and these come to me when I am in need. I am more grateful, more positive, and I did laugh more this year (when you are around Caleb Bates, it is kind of hard not to).

With that being said, 2011 was a success. Looking back over the year, I had some spiritual growth. I realized that God loves me no matter what, and that He wants a relationship with me. I realized that everyone makes mistakes, but the important thing is to get up and keep going, that His mercies are new every morning (from Lamentations 3:23... my favorite verse of the year!). I grew emotionally. As mentioned before, I think I am more patient and understanding (my boys may disagree). I also realized that it is okay to be sad sometimes. It's okay to be upset and angry. It's not okay to let it linger and refuse to get over it.

Some of the things I loved about 2011: both of my grandmas turned 80 (Mamaw Na in January, Mamaw Bert in May) and we were able to give them both birthday parties to honor them. There's nothing like being with family and celebrating. June brought a trip to the Outer Banks with most of the Clemons Clan, and more family time. While there, I crossed parasailing off of my bucket list and hung onto Wallace's hand as tight as I could. (Kind of fitting, cause it's his hand that I usually hang onto when I am scared). July took us back to the beach with Helen, William, Greg, and Regina. August brought another year for me at HCTC, and along with that a new online component to the nursing program. I enjoyed the teaching online, although I will admit it was a struggle for me at first. September and October were filled with living for Friday nights, with a few volleyball games thrown in for good measure. I got to walk on the field with my girl, who grew up on me overnight. November... basketball, where it "isn't my first rodeo...and it isnt' going to be my last." We have been blessed to have a great group of girls going along for the ride. It also brought Wallace joining the Reserves as an officer, and a monthly trek to Louisville for him. Throw into the mix some great concerts (Chris Tomlin, JJ Heller, Toby Mac), backyard fireworks on the 4th of July, a couple of snow days, and several just lay around and do nothing days, some great books (The Help, The Hunger Games, Courageous, Unbroken), a hike at Natural Bridge, the purchase of a new treadmill, and Santa proving that I had in fact been a good girl with the gift of a Kindle Fire.

So, with that being said, Thanks, 2011. I'll be ringing you out with the Jackson City Lady Tigers. I'm excited about 2012. More resolutions to break. More to cross off my bucket list. More fun with Caleb and Wallace. A wedding for one sis, and high school graduation and college for the other. More of me, getting better... because I've heard that getting older really does mean getting better. Like a fine wine... not that I know anything about wine =)

1 comment:

  1. I love this. It gives a snapshot of your year and shows your anticipation for the New Year. I may try something like this to end 2014. Wow. We can see the end and we will have improved health and fitness to report as well as new friends.

    ReplyDelete