Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sucker for a Love Story

A couple of years ago, I gave in to the temptation and read the Twilight series. I didn't want to. Didn't think I'd like it, even though I had always enjoyed Anne Rice books growing up. However, like many others, I fell in love. Not necessarily with the vampires or the werewolfs, but rather with the love story itself. There's Edward, the vampire, who loves Bella so much that he leaves because he knows he's bad for her. There's Jacob, the werewolf, who comforts her but then steps out of the way when Edward comes back. Team Edward or Team Jacob... I found myself pulled in two directions, because they both had such redeeming qualities.
So tonight, I found myself in a dark theatre by myself. Wallace and Caleb were having a Daddy-Caleb day but were gracious enough to let me bum a ride to the theatre. And there I sat, as Bella walked down the aisle and married the love of her life, knowing the repercussions. I'll admit, I even got a little teary-eyed throughout.
One line really hit me. Edward told Bella, "No amount of time will ever be enough with you, so let's just start with forever." The rest of this evening, that line has gone around and around in my head, because in our society, "forever" doesn't really mean that. It saddens me to think about divorce rates. I know there are perfectly good reasons for divorces, and many of my good friends and family have went through the pain of messy break-ups. However, I'd like to say that as a true romantic, I still believe in happily ever after. Wallace sometimes tells me that's one of my weaknesses, but that's ok. Because I like to think that it makes me look past his faults, because he's still my knight in shining armor. (And don't get me started on his faults). I like to think that if he were as romantic as Edward, he'd say the same words to me, but I guess I'll just have to settle for him twirling with my hair before we go to bed at night. And that's ok, because I have faults that he has to look past, too. That's the difference between storybook romance and real-life relationship. Real-life relationships are a struggle, a give and take where you have to sacrifice and put up with some things that you might not like. Sometimes you have to change the way you do things or look at things or respond in certain situations. And sometimes you have to sit through hours of scouting ballgames when you'd rather be at home reading a book (although I have gotten smart and I now take the book with me... the best of both worlds). On the other hand, Wallace has had to sit through his share of chick flicks. The moral of this story is, no matter how hard it gets, or how bad we've gotten, life is better with him by my side. It might not be as exciting as vampires and werewolfs fighting over me... but that's my idea of a storybook romance. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment