Wednesday, December 7, 2011

1,000 gifts... or Maybe Just 10

I'm reading Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts. It is a lovely book, full of big words and complicated thought processes that come down to one simple context: gratitude. The whole theme is how we are the most full when we are thankful, when we are fully living in the moment and appreciating those little things around us. I've tried to be more thankful. Through November, I really did try to post one thing I'm thankful for... and there are so many blessings that I can't name. But deliberately live in the moment, and truly be grateful? That somehow seems out of reach, to be 100% present all of the time. However, her words on the screen of my Kindle make me think that maybe, they aren't just for her; that maybe those special memories can truly be mine, also, if I'd just learn to appreciate. To hold fast to the NOW instead of the Hurry Up or the to do or the got to get it done. So, today, on this mid-week day, are my gifts...
1. Wallace's warmth when I crawl into bed late at night with cold feet.
2. Rain on a tin roof coaxing me to sleep.
3. Rain drops dangling on the tree limbs outside my office window at work.
4. The creaks of the floor as I walk from my office to the printer. Yes, my building is cold, but it is an educational marker in my community and I am blessed to be part of it.
5. Brand new planners, free from ink or markings or appointments. Bright blue ink pens to start marking it up.
6. Sheepskin Ugg boots against my feet.
7. Belly laughing from little boys who can't tell a lie because the twinkle in their eye give them away.
8.Mcdonalds French Fries and ketchup, piled high on a tray to be shared
9. Words on a page or a device, for me to devour and lose myself in
10. The hint of snow in the rain, telling me winter is finally here.
What are your everyday gifts? To be continued...

Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ-Ephesians 5:20

No comments:

Post a Comment