Friday, January 30, 2015

What I Learned in January

1. You can intercept a football with your knees. Suggs for the Baltimore Ravens heartbreakingly did this against the Steelers. It was beautiful... but so very, very heartbreaking.  I may or may not have wanted to cry as I watched this video replay.

2. Freerice.com  is like Trivia Crack, only you don't play other people and it gives rice to hungry people.  For every question you get right, a few grains of rice are donated... which may not seem like a big deal, but hey, small things can change the world, right?

3. And speaking of Trivia Crack, it is called crack for a reason. As in it is addictive.

4. I am a product of my parent's generation... and professional development can go by fairly quickly when the presenter is amusing.  Mark Taylor presented today on including different learning techniques for different age groups, and how to target to this generation... which is a sometimes difficult thing. The funny thing is, I'm on the cusp of Generation X and Generation Y (some researchers use 1982 as a turning point, and my 1979 birth year is pretty close.) And I can see some of both generations in my behaviors... but the way he described the other generations are pretty much spot on.  Great presentation!

6. Basketball is a team sport and everyone on the team has a role.  Everyone is important. Now, obviously, I already knew this, but I was reminded again tonight as one of our JV players (an 8th grader) got in the game and scored her first two points as a Ladycat.  Money in the bank!!! And it made me proud to see the older girls standing up and clapping for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment