Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Seven American Heroes

On this day, 29 years ago, there was snow on the ground...

but the sun was shining brightly outside our window.

I was sitting on the couch in my Mom and Dad's living room, probably reading a book (ok, I'm embellishing here.  I don't remember that part). 

My Mom was folding laundry, sitting on the couch next to me.

The TV was on and we were watching the first teacher to go up into space wave at the camera.

Imagine that!

A teacher, in space.  Even as a kid, I had the utmost respect for teachers, because my Mom was a teacher, and my Grandma.

We watched them walk to the shuttle.

We watched the countdown.

And then, we watched the explosion.

It's amazing that I can't remember what happened this morning, but I can still see my Mom's face clear as day in my mind.

Remembering those who lost their lives... in the words of one of my favorite teachers, they were "Seven American Heroes."

No comments:

Post a Comment