Sunday, July 6, 2014

Summer Reading- July

I don't know how to explain my love of reading.  It is an inherent part of me.  I just may be addicted.

Last month, I read 19 books... I had hoped to read a book a day, but then life got hectic with Relay and family reunions.

This month I'm aspiring for about the same. I'll list them as I read them at the bottom.

I'm reading some great books this July!

My favorite book of all time is Gone with the Wind, and I had savored picking it up all summer long.  I wrote a whole post on that one, so I'll not say anything more.

I'm reading Team of Rivals, about Abraham Lincoln and his Cabinet. It's kind of neat, because in both books the bombing of Fort Sumter just took place... but I've got two different viewpoints.

I'm also reading The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks.  I LOVE Nicholas Sparks, even if I do need a counseling session after reading one of his books. I can remember reading Message in a Bottle, the first book I ever read by him.  I was laying in the bathtub doing the ugly cry... you know the one.  Yet I picked up another one of his books... very rarely do I close them without shedding a tear.  This one is about a professional bull-rider.  I couldn't help of Breathitt County's own John Keith Collins, who is preparing to go to Nationals.  (Let me put in a plug here... he's a great guy and if you'd like to support his cause, message me on Facebook. What an awesome opportunity it's going to be for him!)

I started A Framework for Poverty by Ruby Payne.  This is a book that has been discussed at work a lot, and with all of the negative attention Breathitt County has received lately about being a hard place to live, I thought it was fitting for me to read it.  Poverty is reality here, and as an educator, and as a parent, it's my job to do what I can to raise awareness. The causes are many and are highly debatable, but the fact of the matter remains... these are people, often kids. 

I just started Am I Messing Up My Kids by Lysa Terkeurst. This is our next OBS study to start July 13th, and let's just say that I really, really need this study.  It's a quick read so far.

I'm reading Chasing Amanda and The Center of Everything, two fictional books that I've just began. One is about a woman who looks for missing kids.  I'm not sure what the other one is about, because I'm just on page 10.

I'm participating in Beth Moore's Siesta Summer Bible study, working through her Children of the Day, studying 1& 2 Thessalonians, and I am LOVING it.

Plans for the future?

One of the Facebook groups I belong to is planning on working through Beth Moore's The Patriarchs series, probably beginning in a couple of weeks.

The Midwife of Hope River.  Bridge to Haven. Wedding Dress. Across the Creek. 11/22/63. Water for Elephants. I've Got Your Number. Sycamore Row. Uncle Tom's Cabin. Grace in Thine Eyes.  The Storyteller.

Shew... lots of reading.  May the world never stop writing!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment