Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Life Vision

This week winds down a five week study through Proverbs 31 OBS Ministries of Derwin Gray's A Limitless Life.

I've also been reading Pursuing the Intentional Life by Jean Fleming.

The past six months have been filled with changes, some good, some bad.  Actually, this time last year was froth with indecision and uncertainty so really the last year could be defined as a catalyst for this post... maybe not necessarily for myself, but for people that I love.  And since I turn 35 in September, these past few weeks have been a reflection of my life now and where I want it to go.

How fitting that one of the assignments on the blog this week was to craft a life statement and a life vision.

I've tried to do that before, but struggled.  The exercise had us answer five questions related to where we wanted to be in ten years, how we've wanted to be seen, things that make our soul sing (I love that), and generally just reflecting on life.

Always before, when I struggled with crafting a vision or a mission statement for my life, it is because I was wrapped up in doing.

I frequently defined myself in the things that I did.  I'm a mother,  a coach's wife, a nurse, a teacher, a student, a reader, a football fan... you get the picture.

And while all these things are true, they don't really define me. All of these roles point me toward an eternal destination. All of these roles provide me with a way  to impact others for Christ. The point of life isn't how great a mom or wife or nurse or teacher I am... but rather, how much glory do I bring God as I am doing those things?  And I'm realizing that it could be so much more...

I have a bucket list of all kinds of things I want to do before I die.  My goals have often been centered on professional accomplishments.... what can I DO?

And as I've embraced my word of the year, "be", I'm reminded of what God tells me.  "Be still and know that I am God, I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth." (Psalm 46:11).

At the beginning of the year, I sought out the first part of that verse.  Be still and know that I am God.

As I'm reflecting, though, I see that when I am still, just being and not focusing so much on the doing, my ultimate purpose in life is realized.

For Him to be exalted. For Him to be glorified.

Through me.

Through my actions, my roles, my responsibilities. When I am in His Will, allowing Him to reflect through my life, He is exalted. He's exalted every time I teach a student how to do an assessment focusing on the patient as a person, and every time I tell a student to keep at it.  He's exalted every time I bring a popsicle to the gym and brag on my girls.  He's exalted in every peanut butter and jelly sandwich I make for Wallace.  He's exalted when I am at a football game and the fan from the other team is driving me crazy, but I compliment their players because they are just kids, too. He's exalted when I don't yell at Caleb (Oh, this one definitely needs work). Every smile I give to someone in Walmart, every time I hold a door open, every time I let someone else out in traffic... He is exalted.

They will know us by the fruit that we bear... because His light will shine through us.

Let it no longer be what I can accomplish, what I can check off my to do list, what goals I can reach.

My life vision in 140 characters or less, "To live full of Jesus, love, compassion & encouragement, a light to others, giving honor to those before me and leaving a legacy of grace."

P31 OBS Blog HopMay I do this as a being... and bring You glory.

2 comments:

  1. Love your life vision!! Can totally relate to being wrapped up in doing and finding my purpose in the things that I do over how I do them. Thanks very much for sharing this uplifting post!! Blessings to you!!

    Trish (Proverbs 31 OBS Ministries Team)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing and I can agree that it is not easy crafting a life vision but you did a beautiful job - I love it!

    ReplyDelete