Sunday, June 3, 2012

Electronic Bible?

Today Caleb and I went to church with Mom and Dad.  As usual, Caleb can't leave the house without his Ipad.  "Caleb, you can't take that into church." My Dad said as we walked out the door. "But Papaw, it has my Bible on it."  ("Or it will..." he said to me.)  He hurriedly downloaded the Olive Tree Bible Software app and proudly packed that IPad to church.

As the sermon went on, Caleb diligently tried to follow along. "Where did he say?" He'd whisper to me.  It brought a smile to my face to see him type in the name of the book as fast as he could.  It made this Mama's heart smile when the verse, "His grace is sufficient" was quoted... "Is that where you got that from, Mama?"  He said, his eyes lighting up. 

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he won't depart from it.  To me, there's still nothing like a well-worn Bible, with lots of underlining and notes in the margins.  I've grown attached to my Bible... just like Caleb's grown to that IPad.  I may not teach him much.  I may not always act in the way that I should, and get angry when I shouldn't.  I'm not always the best example, but I do think that when Caleb remembers me, he'll remember a Mama who had her Bible close, and a Mama that prayed for him regularly.  And I'm counting that he'll continue that tradition for my grandbabies... it just may be electronically.

No comments:

Post a Comment