Saturday, June 2, 2012

I Used to be So Organized

I did, really.  I think I've written a blog about this before, about my organization habits and how they all went downhill once I started nursing school.  I have never been a great housewife, and I definitely admire all of those stay at home Moms.  And to be honest, there are so many things I'd just rather do.

However, I'm learning that disorganization in my home, my mind, my work space leads to chaos everywhere else.  It's exhausting.  I am sometimes worn out before my feet hit the floor in the morning, and running around looking for my keys doesn't help things (ok, ok... I do at least hang my keys up by the door.  I'm getting some better).

I go to bookstores and look at books that I think look good only to find them in my bookshelf at home, unread.  I buy shirts and then forget where they are.  My laundry stacks up to the ceiling and I never have anything to wear.  And have I mentioned that I am constantly misplacing things?

Every summer since I started working at the college, I have vowed to get organized. This year I mean it, for a variety of reasons.  I want my home to be welcoming.  Caleb is getting to be the age where he is wanting to have friends over, and I want to be that kind of Mom... As I've been reading Proverbs 31, I have learned that it is also biblical. It's my duty to have a welcoming,  neat home.  That doesn't mean it has to be perfect, but it does mean I have to try.

Tomorrow I'm starting a book study through Melissa Taylor that is working through Glynnis Whitaker's book, I Used to be So Organized.  To kick off my study, I cleaned my house all day long.  I tried not to smother down when I saw things that needed to be done... the walls needing washed down, the pantry that needs to be organized, closets that need to be cleaned.  Clutter everywhere.  No wonder I never wanted to get started. Instead, I worked 15 minutes in each room, and focused on laundry and my closet.  I'm nowhere near where I need to be, but so much better than I was.  And it feels good... my muscles are aching, and that's good.  I think I'll sleep good tonight...

I still have two months of summer left. I'm working about four days a week advising and helping out in Quality at the hospital (a part of being a nurse I'd never really done... I'm really enjoying it).  I've decided that I'm going to take at least 15 minutes every day to pick up my house, and work on keeping it clean.  As I do this, I can start focus on removing clutter.  I WILL do this before I start back to work, because I'm working on being that Proverbs 31 woman.  But right now I'm thanking God it's the Sabbath =)

No comments:

Post a Comment