Sunday, April 15, 2012

Feeling Old

Turning 30 did not make me feel old. A lot of people have issues, but I honestly didn't.  I've never been one who has feared growing old.  Both sets of my grandparents have lived until their 80s (well, one is still 79, but he's still kicking), and even though I know that doesn't guarantee that I will live until a ripe old age, I figure I have pretty good genes.  I don't worry about looking old, really, either, because it is what it is and the Bible actually talks about gray hair as being a crowning glory.  To be honest, I never really thought about being old... until last night.

Last night I went with Wallace and chaperoned After-Prom.  I've done this several times before when he was working at Owsley County, and am amazed by my husband.  I know I have to say this because he's mine, but Wallace is just one of those guys that makes everyone feel comfortable.  Granted, sometimes his basketball girls don't like him because he can be a jerk, and he tells you what he thinks, but he does it out of kindness. He's the life of the party, and I think he has just as good of a time as the kids do.

Anyhow, now that I have bragged on how wonderful he is, we went up to Prom a couple of hours before we were scheduled to go to After Prom.  Oh, the joys of being a teenager, where your biggest concern is how to do your hair.  Every girl looks beautiful on Prom Night. There must just be something about the whole "Cinderella" story... those poofy dresses, and your hair swept up in an updo, and the fake nails... you know, the whole Princess philosophy.  It just makes me smile to think about it.  Bringing me to the first reason I feel old: it has been 15 years since I dressed up for prom.  I can remember it, though, like it was yesterday.  It doesn't seem like that long ago... but it was.  A lot of things have happened since then.  College, mortgages, vehicle payments, Caleb Bates... nothing that I would trade for sure, but still, to be young again...

When we got up there, Kami was there, hanging out with her friend Britt.  In her blue jeans, no less, out there dancing and having a good time.  So much more confident than I was at that age. Let me just brag a little on Kam now.  Besides Caleb, she is my pride and joy.  I love her so much.  She slept with me every night of my life until I got married. She helped me study for anatomy.  She's grown up to be an intelligent, beautiful girl, and I am so very proud.  When she was little, she loved Wallace (ok, she still loves Wallace). She had a picture of herself hugging him next to her bed, and she would tell everyone he was her boyfriend.  So last night, she got ready to leave, and then they started playing a slow song. She came back in, hair bouncing with that beautiful smile on her face.  "Dance with me, Wallace?"  And so there they were... my man and my best girl.  And I got a little teary eyed.  I'm a little teary eyed right  now. 

Things change.  People grow up.  Love remains... and I have to keep that in mind as she gets ready to go off to college, and Holly gets ready to get married, and Caleb grows up into a little man, and Wallace turns gray headed (yes, that's why he keeps his hair so short.  He says it's the Military, but now you know the truth...) Nothing stays the same, except love, which just grows with time if you cultivate it.  So I may be old, but I am loved. And love is the most important thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment