Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Bum Knee

I am not a good patient. Nor am I a good mother to a patient.  Any of my fellow nurses out there know what I'm talking about??? Please tell me yes so I can be assured that I'm not the only one...

Today, at school, Caleb fell and hit his knee.  Wallace called me and told me I might want to come on up, that it looked "a little swollen."  Um... a little?  The poor thing had a huge hematoma on the top of it, was bruised, and swollen.  And so what did this nurse do??? Panic a little... um, yes.  After all, this is my baby here... and in that case all my training went out the window. 

Once we got to the doctor's office, an x-ray was done and Caleb was wheeled to an exam room (He wanted to wheel himself).  He asked all the right questions, like "Do I have to go to school tomorrow?".  He texted his friends and played on Facebook while we were waiting for Dr. Hamilton to call UK.  An avulsion... hopefully tendons are ok. 

On the way to the hospital to pick up a knee immobilizer, Caleb asked if it could be signed like a cast.  He asked if he would get to walk on crutches.  He asked how I would get him out of the car. 

Tonight hasn't been easy.  Caleb is an active child to say the least, so being confined to the couch hasn't been fun.  He's cried because it hurts... but he's also been a trooper.  I am so proud of him.  He makes me smile.  He's been up and down on crutches, and is finally figuring it out. He's a little upset because I told him I was keeping him home from school tomorrow... but I figure one day to lounge around won't hurt him. 

I'm realizing it could be worse.  I could be dealing with this every day... so many families out there struggle with terminal illnesses.  With kids with handicaps.  With kids who have behavioral problems or other issues.  I've been so blessed. 

Thank You, Lord, for my blessings.  Help me take care of this one sitting next to me on the couch.  Keep him safe and give him healing, because You are good and great and powerful. You are Jehovah Rapha... The God that Heals.  El Shaddai... the All-Sufficient.  And while You're blessing us, bless all those who go through this every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment