Thursday, January 11, 2018

Dear You...

This week has been a busy one, prepping for the coming semester. I never feel as though I have enough time and I guess that's ok, because I don't think I'm alone. This week has also ushered in new student orientation, so it's fitting that my prompt is a letter to someone looking back some years ago.

Hind-sight is 20/20, and it's easy for us to say, "I would have done this" or "I should have done that"... 

but looking back in the rear view mirror gets you nowhere but in the ditch because you aren't looking at the road ahead of you.

I am reminded of teenage drama so often because I have a teenager under my roof, and while I can't speak to what he's going through because he's a guy, here's what I'd like to tell him and his friends right now, this freshman year of high school.

Life seems tough right now, and as adults we often joke that you have no idea what the real world is like, but the challenges you face are often unimaginable to us. You can do it.

You are smart and resilient and able to conquer the world. After all, one day your generation will be running it, and as scary as it seems, you'll be the adult. (Just like it's scary to me right now that I'm the adult).

Make friendships and keep them. Don't allow yourself to drift away from people unless there is a reason not to stay tethered. Know the difference between who is good to you and who you need to let go.

Never allow anyone to make you feel less than... but don't convince yourself you are more than, either.

It's ok not to be perfect. It's ok not to be good at things. It's not ok to allow fear to keep you on the sideline, afraid of trying new things because you are afraid you won't be perfect or good at something.

Watch your words. They matter. They make a difference.

Always be the bigger person, and make decisions in light of the Golden Rule.

Lend a helping hand.

Smile at the person you meet on the street.

Take the time to converse with the custodians, the bus drivers, the lunch ladies... because without them, you can't be where you are. They are the backbone of an organization and are often underappreciated.

Always err on the side of being kind.

Have a plan A. Have a plan B. Don't get frustrated if things don't work out.

Be thankful and gracious.

Learn something every day, and keep learning.

Be you. The you that may be different. The you that may be misunderstood. The you that you may not necessarily like.

Every day, look in the mirror and mouth "You.  Are.  Awesome.".. ok, maybe that's going too far, but a little self-pep talk never hurt anyone.

Love others, even if it hurts.

Above all, bask in knowing that You are fearfully and wonderfully made by a Creator who handpicked you for where you are right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment