Friday, January 6, 2017

Five Minute Friday: Connect

Sometimes I sit in the bleachers of the gym and feel like I'm all alone.

The crowd will be cheering. Wallace will be yelling. The girls hustling on the floor...

but I still am in a daze.

Sometimes I feel like I'm on the outside looking in.

I know I'm an introvert, and I'm ok with that.

And being the coach's wife, I often separate myself. I'll sit by myself because let's face it, Wallace isn't always the most popular guy. And that's ok...

Because every parent is doing his/her job by loving their kid, which means that sometimes, they may be mad at the bully who is the coach... even if he's giving that kid tough love.

Understanding this doesn't mean I want to hear what they have to say about it, though...

One of my goals this year was to be intentional about friendship. I don't know that I would call myself a good friend. A lot of that goes back to being an introvert... I don't always know what to say and to be honest sometimes people exhaust me...

But I'm reminded about how in Hebrews we are told to forsake not the assembling of ourselves together, and while I know that is talking about the church, I can't help but think maybe God meant friends, too.

After all, one of the highest compliments He paid someone was to say they were a friend of God...

And to be a friend, one has to show Himself friendly... and I know that sometimes I may seem stand-offish. It's not because I mean to. I genuinely care about other people and want to be liked, for the most part.

I just have trouble making a connection.

I don't know what to say. I'm horrible at making small talk. I spend my time thinking about what I should say next.

I have thousands of friends on facebook... but still sometimes feel like I don't have anyone with whom to talk. I think that's a problem with social media in general... we connect, but it's shallow.

So, tonight I'm thinking of how I can make a real-life connection this coming week. Somehow, I'm going to go out of my way to make it a point to show myself friendly to one real-life person.

To connect with them...

And then to try to connect them with the Father because of His light in me.

*Linking up with Kate Montaug and Five Minute Fridays, where we write for five minutes, unedited, on a single prompt. This week, the word was connect... and I may or may not have cheated and written for a little bit longer...

1 comment:

  1. ah...I loved your post. It was kinda like you were talking to me. :) Yes... let us show ourselves to be friendly.. because we are.. we just don't always know what to do about it. :) I'm at #80 in the FMF linky :)

    ReplyDelete