Thursday, January 2, 2014

What I'm Reading in January

Articles about substance abuse.  And more articles on substance abuse.  And a Fundamentals textbook, a dosage calculation textbook, and a pharmacology textbook as I gear up for the start of another semester. 

Pretty exciting stuff.

I did make up for it in December, though.  Before I jump into what I'm reading now, let me touch on some of my favorite books from last month.  I read some good ones.  I started another Sherryl Woods trilogy, and finished the first one, Sand Castle Bay.  I love Sherryl Woods. She has loveable characters, and an easy to follow plot.  Her books are usually ones you don't have to think a whole lot about, which is good.  I read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant, a fictionalized story of Dinah from the Bible.  I really enjoyed this one, too, and can't wait until I get to her story in my Chronological Bible to remind myself  of the actual story.  I devoured Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly.  Wonderful account.  Left a few more questions in my mind, and I found several other good books that he used as resources that I've added to my to read list.  I read several Christmas books, too, including Starry Night by Debbie Macomber, The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtiss Higgs, and The Greatest Gift by Ann Voskamp.  I loved Calico Joe by John Grisham, about a baseball player.  So... what I'm reading now...

I'm currently reading the second book in that Sherryl Wood trilogy, Wind Chime Point.  This trilogy follows three sisters, with one book devoted to each one of them.... and a meddling grandma.  I just started Killing Lincoln, also by Bill O'Reilly.  Just on chapter 4, but it is pretty good.  Never knew John Wilkes Boothe dated the daughter of a senator.  I've always loved the story of Lincoln.  I also just started My Heart Remembers, by Kim Vogel Sawyer.  This book follows children on an orphan train.  I first learned of the process of orphan trains in another book last year, and it has fascinated me.  I'm reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith.  It was one of my favorite books when I was in high school, and I haven't read it since then, so I've been looking forward to rereading. My drive-thru read is Miracle Road by Emily March.  Haven't read much of that because I've not been driving much =)

On my Kindle, I'm reading Grace by Max Lucado.  I thought I had finished it, but then discovered there was a series of questions for each chapter, so I'm slowly working through them, with  hopes of finishing by the end of the month. Still reading Freedom From Performing, too... love how these messages interweave.  I'm reading Stress Proof Your Life, because who couldn't use less stress? Already got one idea about how to work on my procrastination. It worked day before yesterday.  Not so much today.  I'm reading When Dreams Cross by Terri Blackstock.  I read the first book in this series a few months ago. This one is about an amusement park designer who runs into a long lost love... which is complicated.  Good story so far. I'm also reading The Story of Your Life by Matthew West and Angela Thomas.  Matthew invited his fans to write their stories, then retreated to a cabin to write an album based on what was submitted.  This book has some of the others.  I love the idea of our lives being a story.  Angela adds in appropriate Bible verses.  I'm really enjoying it.

So, there you have it.  My to read list is long, as usual.  Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, The Fault in Our Stars, Mary Poppins She Wrote (the movie Saving Mr. Banks, which I'm dying to see, is based on it), the Divergent series (also coming out in movies in March), Sycamore Row by John Grisham, Killing Jesus, which I've been told is spot on historically, The Longest Ride.... I could go on and on. I'll also be starting Made to Crave with the Proverbs 31 Online Bible Study team January 19th, reading through  March. 

This winter break has been awesome.  I  have work to do, a paper to write, laundry to put up... but I've got lots of reading in.  If there's anything you've read that is particularly good, comment below and I'll add it to my list.  Until next month... Happy Reading =)





No comments:

Post a Comment