Monday, December 31, 2012

Reflecting on 2012

"We've all been placed on the planet for such a time as this."- Beth Moore, Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman

It's hard to believe that I'm sitting here on the eve of another New Year... seems like yesterday I was writing a post to begin 2012.  Yet here I am, and what a year it has been. Kami graduating high school and starting at UK, Holly getting married, me starting doctoral school.  Jackson's Volleyball team winning district.  Caleb growing into a fine young man, enduring knee troubles and physical therapy and making me so very proud in so many ways.  Will being born and an 80th birthday celebration for my Papaw Paul (the baby of the bunch).  Work and life and church... time spent with family and friends and loved ones.  No wonder it seems as if I just blinked...

I just finished the final study in Esther, right on time, and Beth talks about how our story is yet to be finished, that the ink is still being written on the paper.  So many things I hope for the ending of my story, but before I harp on that tomorrow, here's how I stood on 2012.

For the first time ever, I read my Bible all the way through, from start to finish. I got behind and spent the past couple of days catching up, reading several books at once.  Must say I did do this in a hurry, so one of my goals for next year is to be more deliberate and intentional about the reading, so that I'm thinking about what I'm reading.  I also had the goal to complete 4 in-depth Bible studies.  I read To Live is Christ and Esther by Beth Moore, and Nehemiah by Kelly Minter.  I also participated in online studies on Hebrews led by Wendy Blight, on Proverbs 31 and Colossians by Good Morning Girls, and 1 Peter by Hello Mornings.  Plans for next year's studies might be mentioned tomorrow =)

I did sleep more, going to be on a more regular basis, until Biostats kicked in... but for the most part I got at least 7 hours of sleep, which was a huge improvement over 4-5 hours.  I still procrastinated, but didn't let myself get quite as stressed out (again, until Biostatistics kicked in). 

I set a goal to read at least 75 books... and read 99.  Fiction, religious, a variety of books.  Almost got caught up in the Stephanie Plum series (I'm on 16 out of 19 right now).  Several Karen KIngsbury novels.  Some read of the SheReads book club.  The Book Thief. You're Already Amazing and Grace for the Good Girl.  Still no War and Peace... but I have read a little more this Christmas break.  Maybe 2013 will be the year???

I wrote in my blog 280 out of 365 days, and posted 246 pics in my Life as I Live It album on Facebook.  I have loved doing this, and while some of my pictures seem obnoxious, it has really made me stop and pause to think about things as they happen.  I participated in The Joy Dare through Ann Voskamp's A Holy Experience blog, and jotted down three things every day to be grateful for. 

I wanted to cross at least one thing off my bucket list, and managed to cross three things off: ziplining with Wallace in July, Beth Moore live in August, and a Steelers game at Heinz Field in December. I also started on another one when I enrolled at WKU in June, working toward my DNP degree.

Pretty much the only areas I wouldn't consider a success is exercise and weight loss.  I actually gained a little weight, and did pretty good on the exercise for about half the year.  I think part of me quitting was in rebellion to Wallace and his activeness.  Plus, we had some issues this year... I'm glad to say that last night he leaned over to me and said, "Here's to hoping 2013 is our best year ever." and I'm echoing that... for me, and us, and you, too.  God bless...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post. It's inspiring to say the least. Just started a blog myself and have similar goals. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete