Monday, December 3, 2012

Christmas Love all Month Long

A month of gratitude flew by, and now it is December. I'm feeling the noose around my neck as the year comes to an end.  We're down to 28 days, and those days are full of finals and papers and homework, of shopping and birthday dinners and basketball games, of a Pittsburgh game and wrapping presents and running... and before I know it, 2013 will be here and I'll be jotting down my resolutions.  They'll be similiar to this year's, because nothing is ever perfect and there is always room for improvement, and God is still working, thank goodness.

But today, the Monday of finals week. All is quiet on campus and I work in my office, listening to K-love and singing along with Christmas carols. Once again, the sky is blue, and the 60 degree weather puts me in a decent mood.  I walk outside, gravel crunching under my feet, and think about how the greatest gift is love and I have that to offer.  God is love and Immanuel was born, and I am unworthy yet He is still who He is. 

And if God is love, and He is in me, does this not mean that I must be love, too, in my finest being?  Yet I struggle, because love is not jealous and love is kind and love is patient... and I am at times none of these things.  I look at the Christmas tree in my living room, and think of the cross, how He was nailed on that tree for love's sake, and how I so casually take that for granted.  I am full of requests when I pray... give me this and give me that and be with so and so... yet never do I really think of what He wants, He desires. 

The greatest gift came from love, and the greatest commandment is love, and the greatest thing we can do for each other is to love... as in love the verb, love an action.  There is no finer time to do this than Christmas.  So last night as Caleb and I talked we decided that love can be given, and we can be the blessing, we can be the Jesus that this world needs so badly.  Join me in being a little more intentional about loving? An open door, a kind word, a hug when  friend needs it... the extra money for someone a cup of coffee or donating to a toy or food drive?  So many small things that we can give, we, who have so much...

like books to read and papers finished and warm blankets, laugher from little boys from deep within their bellies, time with Mom and a text from Kami and the feeling of belonging on Twin Cedar.  Sunshine and unexpected warmth, and the realization that because God is love, He loves me, everlasting.  New music on my iPhone and new mercies every morning...

Counting his blessings... near 1000 now.  Because He is more than enough, and His grace is more than sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment