Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Counting my Blessings

I am exhausted tonight, and really have no idea why, yet I feel like I should compose something short. So tonight, as I sit in my bed typing away, I am thankful for:
Caleb Bates and his laughter, his hugs and kisses, his facebook posts and his tweets saying he loves me, arguing over homework because at least it is time together, and him choosing to go to church over a ballgame. Being able to sit next to my Dad at said church service.
Wallace playing with my hair as we get ready to go to sleep.
My Kindle, full of books that I never have time to read, tempting me away from work and duty... after all, I have to do something to wind down, right? A job that I enjoy, even as I procrastinate grading care plans, and one that I feel I can make a difference. Patient students and co-workers who are more like family than friends.
Peanut butter milkshakes from Spencer's Dairy Bar and Brown Butter Cookies from Yoder's.
Hot bubble baths with Cinnamon Pumpkin Spice bubble bath from Bath and Body Works.
Football on Friday nights.
I could go on and on... but won't because I'm really wanting to finish one of those books. I guess the most important thing I'm thankful for is that even in my bad times, I'm loved. Loved by family. Loved by friends. I think I'm loved by some of my students... but above all, I'm loved by God. No matter what. As I sat in church tonight, one verse really struck me. It's found in Mark, Chapter 10, when Jesus is addressing the rich young ruler. The rich young ruler has asked what he can do to get to heaven, and Jesus rattles off the commandments to him, which he affirmatively agrees he has followed. Then, verse 21, ESV: "And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, "You lack one thing..." Jesus looked at him. IN his imperfection. Knowing he wasn't willing to give up all that he possessed. But He loved him anyway. I'd like to think that He looks on me, and loves me. Lord, help me make You smile, and show You that love in return through my actions. Thank You for my many blessings. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment