Friday, March 4, 2016

The News (Five Minute Friday)

My sister Kami is going into journalism. She'll graduate in May and is looking at openings at stations across the country, which kind of makes my heart hurt.

My son, Caleb, has been bitten by the journalism bug as well. He recently resurrected her weekly article in the Times-Voice and has been taking pictures as well.

Me, on the other hand... I've got a confession to make.

Y'all, I don't watch the news.

The only reason why I even read the news is to see what pictures they've put in the local paper of my girls and crazy husband.

I get a snippet of news from 7-715 as I finish getting ready in the morning and Wallace watches Good Morning America as he eats his peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

But that's enough for me.

And I realize that this is kind of like burying your head in the sand, which I readily admit that I do sometimes.

But the news is depressing.

A lot of it, no offense to my little sis and her journalism buddies, is sensationalized.

And just like you can't turn your head when you go by a car wreck...

We like bad news.

I'm not sure why, exactly...

Maybe the drama of feeling like we're better than someone else. Thank God that didn't happen to me, or thank God I'm not stupid enough to do xyz...

And we're jealous... so we are sometimes happy when bad things happen to others.

We live in a dark world... where poor decisions are made daily and where people hurt one another.

You don't have to look hard to find bad news.

Scrolling down my newsfeed on facebook this morning, I saw families in mourning, people making poor decisions, people facing cancer treatments...

And then there is the Presidential Election, which leaves me shaking my head every morning of my life.

But what you do have to look hard for?

The good news.

And it's there. The gospel of Christ- good news.

Kid President- good news.

Babies- good news.

Let's write our own news stories today. May we thrive on sensationalism, full of rich details- but let's focus on the good in this world as we do so.

The bad will take care of itself.

Linking up today with Five Minute Friday, where we write for five minutes on a given prompt, unedited. Today's prompt? NEWS

 

1 comment:

  1. I do follow the news, but it can be a struggle. As you say, so much is sensationalized (and biased!), so one must work to be an analytical reader with it. So thankful for the Good News!

    ReplyDelete