Thursday, March 3, 2016

Reflections On Purpose: February

Not going to lie. February was a rough month in a lot of ways. I battled upper respiratory gunk... had a death in the family... basketball season was in full swing... and the weather, well, let's just say that I function much better with sunshine and happiness than with rainy, blustery days (but who doesn't??)
Anyway, wanted to reflect on my word for the year and how I'm doing with living with intention and focusing on bettering myself. Thanks for reading... and if you don't, I  understand! This post is more for me than anyone else... but it may help somebody else, so...
My 16 for 2016:
1. Live with Purpose- intentionally. I did pretty good with this until the snow hit... which may have been in January but I never got  a rhythm back after that. My planner has been extremely helpful, and if I take a few minutes on Sunday evening to plan my week I do much better, so starting this weekend I'll be doing that. Living with purpose means keeping Him in my forethoughts, always, and striving to do His Will... His purpose... and I don't always do that. In fact, I often fall short. But God... so, this month, I'll be looking for ways to be even more intentional about service and prayer.

2. Exercise- Goal: At least five days a week, 30 minutes a day, and at least 10,000 steps 26/30 days or 27/31 days of each month (24/28 days in February). (Because nobody is perfect).

For this month: Did really poorly this month with exercise, and it has shown on the scale. I weigh myself every day, which at times can be frustrating, but it also helps me keep things in check. This month I didn't get my exercise in because of a variety of reasons- that upper respiratory gunk I mentioned, late night ballgames (when I should have planned to get up earlier and exercise... that's where intentional, purposeful living comes in), and then family time, which I don't regre.
Had over 10,000 steps only 18 days this month. Exercised 21 out of 29 days.

3. 1,000 Gifts- Gratitude Journal
I've not been faithful about writing every day, but I'm up to 250 gifts. Gratitude truly does help things look brighter.

4. Scripture- http://www.swtblessings.com/p/faith-signs.html#.VmcOQU3bKid
This is one of the best things I've decided to do! I got behind in February, but having the extra day helped... and I found that when I started my day, even for 10 minutes, copying that Scripture down, it affected the way my whole day went. Not because it's magical  or anything... but because when the word gets into you, that's what comes out of you. I'm not sure what the focus of this month's is... today it was about courage, and faith... which goes along with the book I've been reading. Love that!

5. 365 Day Challenges- One picture a day and writing at least 10 minutes each day. One of my facebook friends developed a challenge and we even have our own hashtag- #write365.
Goal: I really wish I could say I've done this... but I've not. I wrote 24/29 days in February. I took pictures 20/29 days.



6. Reading Challenge- http://www.challies.com/resources/the-2016-reading-challenge
My problem is there are so many books I want to read, and not enough time to read them!  I'm reading a lot of books right now (see a later post). I finished 11 books in February, and am working on some for the reading challenge I printed off. I just keep starting series books, which means more and more books I want to read! 

7. Ok... I'm way  behind in my Chronological Bible reading, but I'm not giving up. Right now I'm in Numbers. I struggle with the Old Testament. So many names that I have no idea how to pronounce. Leviticus and all of the laws just about did me in... but next week is Spring Break and I am determined to get caught up! His Word is amazing, no matter where or what you're reading!


8. Look up one word a day from an online dictionary site. Because everybody needs to know a random word. I'm still getting an email a day. Surprisingly, I've known the definitions of some of them, like rabble rouser. Some of the words I've never heard of.. but it's been fun to I've not written the word down, but I have read the definitions.

9. Random/Unrandom Acts of Kindness- I've really been inspired to work on this one after Uncle Dennis's funeral. He demonstrated acts of kindness without even thinking of it... but he was also so very thoughtful. Story after story of how he impacted people... I want that to be my legacy... because it sure was comforting.

10. Presence- spend time with those I love, intentionally. Caleb. Wallace. My grandparents. My sisters. My in-laws. My niece and nephew. Been making a point of stopping at Grandma Bert's. Dropping off at the nursing home for a few minutes. Time with Caleb- and really trying to do better about not being impatient (a work in progress). Got to see my girl Kami at Dance Blue and Greek Sing. Holding Melody makes me smile. As I mentioned, February reminded me of the importance of being present. 


11. Cross something off of my bucket list. Nothing yet. I'm finishing up the survey portion of my research project, and am scared to death... but determined.


12. Be more organized. Procrastinate less. Fold the laundry as I get it out of the dryer and actually put it away =)
(I have a looonng way to go on this one... but that's why we have all year, right?)
OH, wow.  What was I thinking? Did I mention next week was Spring break?

13. Laugh. Everyday.  Hard.
Because laughter is truly good for the soul.
Yes!!! Laughter is good for the soul. Again, Uncle Dennis reminded me of that. Everyone remembers his hearty laugh. We even laughed a lot at his funeral. And Caleb always makes me laugh.
14. Keep a Sabbath day of rest.
Sundays are for napping and football and reading and God's Word. I need to create this margin in my life. If I'm going to make myself be more disciplined in other areas, I need this time to allow my soul to breathe.
Doing a great job with this one so far. Rest and margin are so important.

15. Make new friends. Make time for old ones.
Nothing to report here... I have to do better.

16. Continue to love. Love Jesus. Love myself. Love others.
Living out my values: Be Yourself. Laugh Often. Live well. Love long. Just breathe. Work it out. Finish Strong. Hope always. Give grace. Positive Thinking. Jeremiah 29:11. Romans 8
Working it out... living it out... one day at a time.
And His grace is always sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment