Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Beauty and the Beast

Another one of those days when I really don't have much to write.... so I pulled up a list of writing prompts I found on Pinterest.

And nothing there really struck my fancy, either.

Although one of them was if you could be an animal for a day, what would you be (addressed yesterday)... and another was what color would you be? I explained how I'm not creative enough for those icebreakers. I tend to lean more on the literal.

I don't have much of an imagination. When I was young, I used to have a great imagination. I spent a lot of my time creating stories and pretending to be other people... but somehow lost that.

I mean, I'm one of those people who can't read a book after I've seen a movie because I can't imagine the character as anyone other than the actor or actress. I don't like relaxation techniques because they ask you to "close your eyes. Imagine walking along a beach. The waves are hitting on the shore and the sun is shining on your face. Imagine the sun warming your face..."

I can't imagine it... but I sure wish I could right about now.

That's why I wasn't sure about how great Beauty and the Beast would be. I've watched plays at Jenny Wiley, and they've been good, but I'm not good at stretching my imagination when they change scenes.


But last night... I was enthralled. Even with minimal scenery, the actors and actresses swept you into the story. The props were just enough so that you could imagine the scenes, and the costumes (especially for the Beast and his household) were perfect.

I was enchanted.

Beauty and the Beast has always been one of my favorite Disney movies, perhaps because it is about a girl who always has her nose in a book. I love the songs and the storyline of how love prevails. The message that you can't always go by appearances is timeless, and may be even more relevant in today's social media driven society.

I couldn't tell you how long it has been since I've saw that movie, but I knew most songs word for word. I found myself wiping tears as Belle and the Beast sat in the library discovering King Arthurs's Court and then as they danced after dinner.

And the transformation back to the Prince? Magical.

I've never been to Broadway, and have always wanted to go... and last night's show made me a believer.

Plus it was a delightful time with my Mom and sisters... a must repeat performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment