Saturday, January 23, 2016

A Girl's Guide to Moving On: A Review

I've never really thought of myself as a romantic. I consider myself much too sensible for that. Being that I am married to someone who definitely isn't a romantic, I may just be making excuses. I like the idea of romance... I just don't seem to see much of it in my own life, and I'm not complaining.

That may be why I love Debbie Macomber so much.

I first discovered Macomber's Cedar Cove series a few years ago and was hooked. Macomber writes with a flair for the romance, but her characters are real to life. Mistakes they make, things they say... I could see myself doing them.

A Girl's Guide to Moving On is no different. This novel features an unlikely alliance between a mother-in-law and her ex-daughter-in-law. Both hurt by love. Both trying to figure out independence. Both looking to move on, but not being sure how. In their turmoil, they provide each other support and develop three rules to help guide them on their way. These rules focus on moving forward rather than wallowing in pain, reaching out to others, and putting themselves in new situations by fostering new friendships.

As they step out into new territory, they learn that love can come from the most unlikely places, and that the bitterness of love lost can turn sweet through new hope. There's just enough drama thrown into to entice the reader, but this is an easy read for a cold winter's day snuggled up on the couch.

I would give this book 5 stars because of the writing style, which is easy to follow. Macomber uses narration from both Nichole and Leanne, in alternating chapters, so that the reader gets the story from different perspectives. The characters are loveable; you find yourself cheering for them and wishing them the best.

The story puts a new spin on the mother-in-law relationship and shows that family doesn't always mean blood relation. It offers hope that good can come from bad circumstances.

So if you're looking for an easy, light-hearted read, I'd highly recommend this book.






I received free access to this book through Netgalley.com and am posting this review on their website. This book is available for purchase on February 13, 2016. I receive no compensation from Amazon for using their link with the book information.
 
Professional Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment