Sunday, August 4, 2013

August Reading... and An End of Summer Mourning Session

Ahhh... the end of summer.  Back to work.  Back to school, with two classes instead of just one.  Back to lecture notes and care plans. Goodbye to reading...

Well, not totally goodbye. 

I'd love to have a full-time job that allowed me to read books all the time.  I wouldn't be a good editor, because I like to read for pleasure.  Nor would I be a good critic, because I tend to think most books have some good quality to them.  So I guess I'll just stick to teaching nursing and read in my spare time.

Three recommendations before I jump into August :  The Wishing Tree, or anything by Mary Beth Whelan.  Lighthearted comedy with just enough family drama to make things interesting.  Also, Crazy Love.... one of the best Christian books I've ever read.  Ever.  Kisses From Katie... another one of the best Christian books I've ever read.  This young girl puts things into a whole new light. 

Now, what I'm reading.

Getting ready to dig into What Happens When Women Say Yes to God.  So excited.  Also plugging along with the The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth by John Maxwell... I actually didn't read this in July (I was reading so much other fun stuff) so got to play catchup. 

On my Kindle, I'm reading The Firebird... it was the July selection for SheReads.org, but I've lagged behind.  It's over 500 pages long, though!  I also just started Slammed by Colleen Hoover.  It's the first in a series, and my friend Jenna recommended it a long time ago, and I just never got it started... pretty good so far.  And then there is the Sweet Life... a grown up version of Sweet Valley High.  Yep!  I was so excited when I found Sweet Valley Confidential, 10 years later, a while back, and read the first one of this e-series, and am now reading Lies and Omissions.  Makes me feel young, but they are a little more racier. 

I'm reading The Kite Runner.  Heavy stuff, but good.  And I know I'm behind most of the world, as this is an older book...  It just takes me awhile.  Also reading Letters to God.  Loved the movie but don't really remember much about it, so it's good to go back.  And my drive-thru read is Wicked Business, by Janet Evanovich.  Lizzie and Diesel are trying to find who killed The Professor Reedy... funny and light. 

On my to read list coming up? After The Leaves Fall by Nicole Baart, a selection by the book club I'm in on Facebook.  Grace by Max Lucado and Unconditional by Eva Marie Everson, also selections from a Facebook book club (yes, I realize I may be addicted. I think this was established long ago).  The other books in the Sweet Life series and Slammed series.  When Dreams Cross by Terri Blackstock... I read the first in this series in July for a book club and it was good.  It's a four part series.  Auschwitz.  Notorious Nineteen.  And then there are lots and lots more...

As always, comment below with any suggestions for me.  I may not read them until this time next year but I'll definitely look into them

No comments:

Post a Comment