Monday, October 3, 2016

Seek First



A song keeps running through my head.

It's an oldie but goodie...




A lot of times I feel like that.

I try and I try and I try...

but I can't get satisfied.

I find it funny that the definition for the noun form of content is about stuff. "The contents of a drawer" or "the contents of a file". Content is the substance behind something...

yet how often do I have all kinds of content but am never content?

Last night this verse came to me:

"Seek ye first  the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."

So, I can't help but think that the first step to finding contentment is to seek Him first... and I go about this completely backwards.

Even though I KNOW my day goes better when I read my Bible, I tend to be distracted by the 15 other things that seem to be important to do, and then the whole day goes by and I've not even cracked it open.

Contentment means feeling satisfied.

Too often I try to satisfy myself with books, or people, or exercise (because I dislike it so... I have to feel good if I actually make myself do it, right?) Or tv shows, or even sleep...

but it's never enough.

So many authors that I have read refer to it as a God-shaped hole...

and only He can fill it.

"I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."

He satisfies.

And it isn't a satisfaction that lasts for a little while...

He fills every space and permeates the entire body so that it's enough... for always.

IF we continue to seek Him.

Lately I've been feeling out of sorts. Grumpy. Negative. Sarcastic.

Empty.

So maybe the first thing I need to do to get my happy back is to pause.

Pick up His Word, and allow Him to fill me.

Because He is enough, all -sufficient, and will satisfy and give contentment, if I'm just willing to seek it.

(This month I'm writing on contentment. Find my page with the links to all of this month's writing here. Or you can click on the contentment image on my side bar).

Are you content? If not, are you seeking Him first? I'd love to hear your thoughts on how we can be content in this crazy world. Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment