Sunday, July 17, 2016

The Solution

The cursor blinks on this white page, mocking me.

There's so much that I want to say, but I don't know how to formulate the words.

My world has been reeling the past three weeks. The highs and lows and I've gone through the motions.

Blessed to go on vacation, allowing me to forget the hurt in my heart...

or at least have it numbed a bit.

And then the terror in Dallas and Nice and Baton Rouge.

The pettiness and cattiness of this local wet/dry election.

The points made about the drug epidemic.

It's real, y'all. I see it every single day, and yet I'm helpless to stop it.

It seems that we are all helpless to stop it.

So it wrecks homes and separates families.

And sometimes it becomes a mockery, because isn't it easier to joke about something that to face it?

Our world is hurting. It doesn't matter where you're at. What you look like. What your job is. What color you are.

Life hurts.

I wish I didn't sound so jaded. I know in my mind that it's me trying to process this hurt... this sense of loss...

but it still seems senseless to me.

Let's be real, y'all.

I know the answer is Jesus.

I know that He is already victorious, and that He's going to wipe away every tear...

but sometimes my heart is still too heavy.

I wish that I could do something.

In this world you shall have trouble...

Because isn't that our first response? To do something? To act? To talk about it? To point fingers and blame someone else?

Take heart...

Even when you feel like your heart is broken. Even when you don't understand why good people get messed up doing bad things or why you don't understand why loved ones have to die even when they were ready to go. Even when you don't know what the answer is to the economic downturn in the place that you love. Even when you feel hopeless...

I have overcome the world.

Keep looking, keep clinging, even when you feel it slipping away. He's the Overcomer. He is in control...

So why doesn't He stop things?

Why doesn't He step in and make the shooting and the drugs and the hurtful words stop?

We aren't supposed to question Him...

but I've wondered this.

And I know others have, too.

I followed a post on Twitter yesterday for the hashtag Jesus Changes Everything.

Y'all, I believe that with all my heart. I've seen His change. Felt it. Two years ago when Grandma died He held me... and He's held me this year through the loss of Uncle Dennis and Papaw.

His work on the Cross has given me hope, so that I can take heart.

But there's a lot of people out there who don't know Him, and all they see is the evil. How can He just stand by and let it happen?

I don't pretend to be a Biblical scholar, and there are times when I hurt so bad I don't even want to open my Bible. I forget to pray. I get stubborn, even, and pout like a little kid...

But I know He sees me. And He sees every aching person. He's not ignoring it.

He's taking count of every single action against the innocent.

And He will repay.

It doesn't make it any easier.

So our job, as we work through this chaos and pain called life, is to be the light in the darkness. Salt of the earth. A city on the hill.

The example.

And sometimes, the world needs to see that we hurt, too...

It's ok to not be ok.

It's ok to be confused.

As long as we know that He is not the author of confusion.

And then, as we are that light, we love.

Love by accepting others.

It's a recurrent theme on this blog.

Love is stronger than fear.

Love is a verb.

Love is looking at the problem and trying to be a part of the solution.

And knowing that the ultimate solution is Him.

And His grace is sufficient, even in our chaos and confusion.

Lord Jesus, help us.

And all the weary people, questioning people, hurting people said...

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment