Sunday, April 17, 2016

Reflections on Purpose: March

Ok... it's the middle of April and I'm just now writing this post about how my purposeful life is going so that should tell you something.
As in... it's not going well.
Except maybe it is going better than I think.
And maybe God has a different idea about purpose than I do.
You'd think I would have learned that through grace... where I had to learn to give it rather than just receive it (and I'm still learning).
Or about how it's not about doing... but being... but somehow I managed to make that into a checkbox type of thing, too.

I establish all these rules and then never accomplish anything.

But maybe life isn't about accomplishments.


My 16 for 2016:
1. Live with Purpose- intentionally. OK.  Here's the kicker. When you set out to live intentionally... you often lose your way. Because what, exactly is intentional living?
Thankfully I've still got the rest of this year to figure that out, good Lord's willing.
But I am using my planner. And I'm feeling pretty accomplished when I check off some to do lists. (Even if I have to write things down I've already done so I can check them off).
And I am learning about being in the moment more... sort of. I still worry about yesterday, and tomorrow, and still have my phone in my hand an awful lot...
but it's a crutch, y'all. And recognizing the problem is half the battle, right?
2. Exercise- Goal: At least five days a week, 30 minutes a day, and at least 10,000 steps 26/30 days or 27/31 days of each month (24/28 days in February). (Because nobody is perfect).

I still don't like to exercise. Some days I like it better than others. In March I almost averaged 11,000 steps a day- 10,981. I walked 10,000 steps 26/31 days, and exercised 26/31. Still not perfect... but ok. And I'm really trying not to kick myself over the numbers on the scale... even if it has gone up a couple of pounds.

3. 1,000 Gifts- Gratitude Journal
I've not been faithful about writing every day, but I'm over 400 gifts. Trying to keep things in perspective and look on the bright side. God is good, and He is the giver of good things. .

4. Scripture- http://www.swtblessings.com/p/faith-signs.html#.VmcOQU3bKid
I'm a couple of days behind on writing every day but have been pretty consistent and I find that on the mornings when I don't take those few minutes and read His Word I struggle the rest of the day. I still haven't figured out what the focus of this month's scripture is... but it amazes me that it is usually something that I need to read

5. 365 Day Challenges- One picture a day and writing at least 10 minutes each day. One of my facebook friends developed a challenge and we even have our own hashtag- #write365.
Goal: This one has pretty much died... but April is another month. Except it's already half over, so new beginnings will have to start in May. And that's ok. Grace, y'all.



6. Reading Challenge- http://www.challies.com/resources/the-2016-reading-challenge
I've only read about three books on this reading challenge sheet, but I finished 10 books in March so I'm on track to reach my overall goal. If only every goal was this easy...

7. Ok...Way behind. As in, two months or so. In this case, tomorrow is another day.


8. Look up one word a day from an online dictionary site. Because everybody needs to know a random word.I get an email a day and enjoy this. Like today... it was somaticize... and we just talked about somatoform disorders last week. It does make me wonder how they decide which word to email out...

9. Random/Unrandom Acts of Kindness- The need to encourage others has kept coming up in my thoughts lately. So much sadness in this world. Small words of hope can make a difference. I've enjoyed looking for ways to bless others, even if it is just holding a door open for them.

10. Presence- Last week I read a blog post about friendship... and again I've been reminded about the importance of just being present. Too often I have my nose stuck in my phone. Been trying to put it up... but too often it is a crutch for me when I'm uncomfortable, because it makes me feel like I have somebody listening... or makes me appear that way. It's a progress.


11. Cross something off of my bucket list. Nothing yet. Survey is done for my DNP research project and now I get to start the fun part of the paper and getting ready to defend. I feel clueless and paralyzed but I know that God's got this...  (Right, Lord?)


12. Be more organized. Procrastinate less. Fold the laundry as I get it out of the dryer and actually put it away =)
(I have a looonng way to go on this one... but that's why we have all year, right?)
Hmm... I'll just leave this one right here. Again. God bless Wallace Bates.

13. Laugh. Everyday.  Hard.
Because laughter is truly good for the soul.
Will Bates makes me laugh. So does Caleb. So does Melody. And movies. I need to definitely be more purposeful with this one.
14. Keep a Sabbath day of rest.
Yes. But... y'all.  I think I need to distinguish between rest and being lazy, because I can use this as an excuse.
Lord, help me put the focus on You and breathe You in on my Sabbath day.  

15. Make new friends. Make time for old ones.
I'm still struggling with this one. I feel like so much of our lives is spent online, without true community, and it is easy to be who you want to be online. I don't want to be like that. I desire to be a friend. I need some friends... some real-life friends.
I'm 36 years old and this is something I've always struggled with.


16. Continue to love. Love Jesus. Love myself. Love others.
Living out my values: Be Yourself. Laugh Often. Live well. Love long. Just breathe. Work it out. Finish Strong. Hope always. Give grace. Positive Thinking. Jeremiah 29:11. Romans 8
Trying. Not doing as well as I'd like... but that's life. Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield...
Thank God for His grace that is all sufficient!

No comments:

Post a Comment