Monday, September 1, 2014

What I Learned in August

1. Lees used to have a football team?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_100_point_games_in_college_football

So,  y'all know that I love college football. And high school  football.  And basically football of any type.   The other day I was flipping through a book about the history of Lees College, and saw a picture of their football team.  In 1927, Lees College made national history as they started their inaugural season... because they got beat by over 100 points. 
132 divided by 6 is 22 touchdowns.  Not that I'm sure that a touchdown was worth six points then.  Or that there were no extra points or field goals.  But 132 points is a high score for a basketball game... much less a football game.  Go figure. 

2. Running can be fun... even though I'm not there yet.
On August 2, I participated in the Midsummer Night's Run in Lexington with Wallace and a few friends.  I walked the course and finished last out of our group, but it was still an awesome experience.  I've even started jogging on the treadmill and have managed to cut my time some in the last few weeks.  I'm not ready to run a 5K... but I'm betting that my time would be quicker if I were to complete it now.  Keep on keepin' on...

3. Having competition also makes exercise more fun.  I've had a Fitbit since January, but never added friends until recently.  It was a great idea.  I find myself watching how I compare to them, and it makes me work even harder.  Most days in August, I've walked at least 10,000 steps, and if I've seen at the end of my day that I haven't reached that goal, I go hit the treadmill for a few minutes, because I know people will be checking out my steps, too.

4. There are armadillos in Kentucky- really????
Yes.  One of Wallace's favorite shows to watch involves Kentucky outdoors life.  I'll admit that I generally watch these shows without paying any attention, but this particular piece of information caught my attention.  I had always imagined armadillos in the desert... but apparently we have some in Kentucky.  And apparently they were from the deep south and have made their way up to the bluegrass.

5. One article described an armadillo as being a cross between an opossum and a groundhog in their activities.  I know all about possums... like they fake being asleep.  I also learned in August that they growl like a cat when cornered, and they are really ugly creatures at 5 AM when your dogs have them cornered.

6. I love volleyball.  I knew this, but being back in the gym has been great. 

August has been a busy month. Once school started back, it seems that the month just flew by.  Before I know it, I'll be posting a "What I learned in 2014" post.  It's amazing how time flies when you're having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment