Tuesday, September 2, 2014

There's Something about that Name

The rain poured down.  My wipers were going as fast as they could go and I could still barely see in front of me.

Caleb is singing, loudly, and snapping selfies.

His conversation runs about as hard as the rain down my windshield.

Jesus.  Jesus.  Please Jesus.

I grip the steering wheel.  I'm not a great driver, by any means.  I wrecked my first car at the age of 4 (I'll have to do a post about that.  It truly is a miracle story... to me, anyway.  And also to my Mom. And my Aunt... I'm pretty sure her wedding would not have been as great had she had one less flower girl.)

Anyway, that was not my last wreck.  And I hate the rain.  And the wind.  And lightning. It makes me afraid that I will lose control.

So Caleb sang and I just said Please Jesus over and over and over.

There's something about that name.

And the rain kept coming and Caleb kept singing and I just kept saying Jesus.

We finally arrived in town and the rain slacked off, only to find a downed power line. Traffic was diverted through the parking lots of Pizza Hut and Citizens Bank.  No electricity at the high school meant no volleyball game, meaning we got home much earlier than we were planning. Our drive home was much calmer... well, if you consider me singing Zippy-Do-Da while being accompanied by Caleb on the coach's whistle that somehow got left in my vehicle (Thanks, Wallace) calmer.  Our electricity was on so I hit the treadmill and lost my breath.

And I'm still thinking of that ride home.  Of how my vision was limited, but I knew He could see.

Of how I knew the road was there, and could barely see the tail lights of the car in front of me, but fear made my heart race.

And how He can calm the storm. Sometimes He calms the wind and the rain... and sometimes He calms us.

I read Psalm 103 this morning. At the wedding on Sunday, it was listed to be read, but wasn't, so I was curious.  I knew that the number was one that I would probably recognize. Then, Pastor Gary Bellamy had commented and listed it on Facebook, so as I sat at the park before my walk I turned to it.

"Bless the Lord, O my  O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's."

Tonight, I bless the Lord... because He is good.  He calms the storm.  He renews me.  He protects me.

And He makes me sing... even if a coach's whistle blown by a rowdy little boy is the best accompaniment I can get.  And somehow, I think that joyful noise was probably music to His ears.

Ah... Jesus. 

1 comment:

  1. I've been in these moments all too often. It makes me grateful we have a God who is so faithful, even during the storm. Thanks for sharing your heart and glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete