Friday, May 30, 2014

What I Learned in May

(Ok, I learned this in April, but better late than never.)...
1. My favorite ride at Disney World is It's a Small World.  As a child, I was fascinated by the catchy song, and the people from all over the world.  As I got older, I realized that the world really is a small place, and that we are more alike than we are different. As an adult, I still love that ride.

But I never knew that it was actually created for a World's Fair... so now you know.  Created by Walt Disney himself in support of Unicef, the ride was featured in the 1964 World's Fair, and then became a permanent attraction in 1966 at Walt Disney Land in California. I've never been on that ride, but I have rode the attraction at Walt Disney World, which is one of my favorite places on Earth.  You can read more at
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/2014/04/10/disney-parks-celebrate-50th-anniversary-of-its-a-small-world/

2. And speaking of that... this was an unsanctioned World's Fair.  According to WorldsFair.com, there is an actual bureau that sanctions World Fairs, or Expos.  There are registered and recognized World Expos... the next registered one will occur in 2015 in Milano, Italy... just in case you want to go.

3. The true meaning of dissimulation is fake or hypocritical... which strikes me as funny, because a simulation is fake and "dis" has a negative connotation.  I guess perhaps I also had that word and disseminate mixed up in my head.

4. May 15th is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day.  You know you want to go out and get a chocolate chip cookie, even though we are fifteen days late.  My favorite are fresh from the oven, slightly crispy.  Yum, yum!

5. As a little girl, I loved my Cabbage Patch Kids.  I was not one of the fortunate kids whose Mom almost committed murder when they first went on sale, but I did get one shortly thereafter.  Also, at that time you could buy the dolls head and a pattern for the body, so my Mom made me a couple of homemade Cabbage Patch dolls.  I knew all about the stork and how they grew in the cabbage patch... but I did not know that Babyland General Hospital is a real place in Cleveland Georgia...  You can visit it and see dolls made... and the nurses there are LPNs (Licensed Patch Nurses instead of licensed practical nurses).  Check their website out: http://www.babylandgeneral.com/visit/ I had a play set of the Babyland General Hospital.  Amazing what you can learn from Pawn Stars!

6. The blind leading the blind is from the Bible... and if the blind leads the blind, they will fall in a ditch.  Matthew 15:14, ""Let them alone; they are blind guides of the blind. And if a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit." Red letter in your Bible, people...

And I knew this, because I am near blind, and you don't want me leading you many places.  I mean, I knew the blind leading the blind could get you in trouble, but I never actually realized it was Biblical.

Linking up with Emily Freeman at Chatting at the Sky for what we learned in May.  This is one of my favorite posts to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment